• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID from Botswana (1) (1 Viewer)

tcom

Hello

I am just back from a short two week safari in the Okavango delta and have a few birds I would like to have identified.

Here is the first post with birds taken just outside of Maun:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Last edited:
Without getting the books out I'm not sure about Pic 2, but my opinions on the others:

Pic 1 - Fork-tailed Drongo Dicrurus adsimilis
Pic 3 - Arrow-marked Babbler Turdoides jardineii
Pic 4 - Crimson-breasted Shrike Laniarius atrococcineus

Thank you for your answers.

If interested, I have on page 6 of my bird pages the photos of the birds taken in the Okavango delta and the Chobe NP. I hope I have identified them correctly.

My take on the 4 birds is as follows.

1) Fork-tailed Drongo
3) Arrow-marked Babbler
4) Crimson-breasted Shrike.

As for number 2 it is clearly a weaver and there is only one female weaver with that sort of pink bill. I make it a female Red-headed weaver which you do get in that area.

Cheers.
Doug

On the collection of photos, there are a few corrections

Prionops retzii should be Corvinella melanoleuca
Lamprtornis nitens should be Lamprotornis australis
Gyps coprotheres should be Necrosyrtes monachus

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back