• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID needed (Scotland) (1 Viewer)

BirdyJim

United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm needing ID for a bird please. I think spotted flycatcher but unsure.

Photo is a still from a webcam in Scotland (Perthshire), United Kingdom.

Attachments

• 2022-07-18_123526.png
    2022-07-18_123526.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 92
Hi BirdyJim and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi BirdyJim and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Ah, thank you. When I registered I realised it was a global forum so I wasn't sure where I'd be best to post, so thank you very much for that :)

Hi again Jim. Your post was fine there, it is the best place for ID queries.

The Scottish forum is rather more general reports about what we're all seeing.

Thanks KenM, we do get whitethroats in that part of our garden but it just didn't seem a close enough fit, and the behaviour made me think of a flycatcher.
Hi Jim, welcome aboard! Something to remember is that at this time of year when insects are more plentiful even the ‘seed eaters’ switch to an insect-based diet, especially handy for the fledglings who would struggle with crunchy breakfasts! So it’s not unusual to see birds like Chaffinch launch from a branch in pursuit of flying prey, they’re clumsy compared to flycatchers and warblers of course, but then so are some of the insects ;)

Hi Jim, welcome aboard! Something to remember is that at this time of year when insects are more plentiful even the ‘seed eaters’ switch to an insect-based diet, especially handy for the fledglings who would struggle with crunchy breakfasts! So it’s not unusual to see birds like Chaffinch launch from a branch in pursuit of flying prey, they’re clumsy compared to flycatchers and warblers of course, but then so are some of the insects ;)
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that, I guess they adapt to what's around. Another month or two from now, when seeds are plentiful, I guess they revert to type.

Many thanks for the welcomes from everyone, it looks like I found a nice place :)

My wife and I are keen birders, although very amateur, although we did return from Norfolk with a very pleasing list of species.

You’ve probably seen Gulls flycatch at flying ant hatch time Jim, not to mention Buzzards in a field worm-feasting….”it’s all grist that comes to mill” lad.👍

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back