• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID request: sparrow, finch? (1 Viewer)

rascolnicov

Hi, took this picture in North New Jersey, today (Nov 14).
Having trouble with identifying.
This was a group which landed on top of the tree and stayed there relatively motionless, basking in the sun for a good many minutes.
Picture taken from approx 100 yds, birds seemed larger than sparrows when flying, yet when examining the photos..
Thanks for any opinions

Attachments

• DSCN1169.JPG
    DSCN1169.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1191.JPG
    DSCN1191.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1192.JPG
    DSCN1192.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1223.JPG
    DSCN1223.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1225.JPG
    DSCN1225.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 41
Red-winged blackbirds. Note bill-shape.
Thank you Butty (and everybody else who confirmed).
No wonder I couldn't match the pictures to any sparrows.
Was leaning towards purple finch, due to some red hue here and there but not really, of course.
Now it all figures (including the larger size), will have to remember the conical bill shape.

They did a good job fooling me again. A sizeable group and all females, must have been going to a convention. I did notice some yellow coloring around the bill but for some it was rather reddish. (including on the back, yet no obvious patch on the wing -as washed out as females have it)

This is was only the second time I posted a question in this forum and as it happens, the bird I was trying to identify last time (3 years ago) was also a female red winged bird (thread here: Unknown bird at feeder Apr 12/ North New Jersey )

_______

..So now I digged up another picture, taken a few days ago, similar predicament (group of birds, this time 2) perched on top of a tall tree, very distant (fully zoomed in at 4000 mm, half of which is digital. Handheld Nikon Coolpix P950).
Are these also female red winged blackbirds? I see some resemblance to the pictures from yesterday but also some differences, for example the bill is less pointed and the relative size of the eyes to the head is larger. At least the same size as a red winged blackbird, possibly larger (couldn't tell at that distance)

Attachments

• mystery bird 1.JPG
    mystery bird 1.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • mystery bird 2.JPG
    mystery bird 2.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 23
  • mystery bird 3.JPG
    mystery bird 3.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
Yep, everything matches, including that split tail.
I overestimated the size a bit perhaps. Females again. Aren't they tricky.
This forum is an invaluable resource.

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back