• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird-related book (1 Viewer)

Hmm good question!
Off the top of my head - "Manka the Sky Gypsy", by 'BB'. A somewhat cheesy name, but an amazingly evocative description of the extensive North Norfolk saltmarshes and their Pink Footed Geese. Loved it as a youth, really his books are good for all ages, in the beautiful way he describes the countryside. The author was an artist, and his books are just like paintings. 🙂🐦

Last edited:
Well deserved Richard.

Thanks..... it doesn't "send me to sleep" but relaxes me, particularly after a difficult day.

Hmm good question!
Off the top of my head - "Manka the Sky Gypsy", by 'BB'. A somewhat cheesy name, but an amazingly evocative description of the extensive North Norfolk saltmarshes and their Pink Footed Geese. Loved it as a youth, really his books are good for all ages, in the beautiful way he describes the countryside. The author was an artist, and his books are just like paintings. 🙂🐦
I will definitely read that book, thanks for the suggestion

Mine is The RSPB’s Guide To Scottish Birds I do enjoy Birding with Bill Oddie a practical guide to Birdwatching.

This gem: On Watching Birds, Lawrence Kilham

"Lawrence Kilham begins this remarkable book with a simple notion, surely there are many people who aren’t scientists who nevertheless take great satisfaction from observing nature and the creatures that inhabit it. Eschewing species lists and the charts-and-graphs approach of professional ornithologists and competitive birders, Kilham’s On Watching Birds elegantly balances the aesthetic and humanistic with the scientific. The author offers a philosophy of embracing nature through discovery rather than a methodology for categorizing it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back