• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching mag .. (1 Viewer)

Henry B

Does anyone know whats happened to Martin Cooks report in Bird watching magazine ? For sightings in Morayshire,,I always looked forward to this as it covers some of my area.

No idea Henry ... perhaps there was nowt to report. Living in the Midlands I tend not to read the reports from Scotland but since you mentioned it I had a look and you're right, there's no report for your area. Perhaps a phone call or a letter/email to them might help reslove your question.

As an aside to this ... we took out a subscription to Birdwatching in mid-July and the offer 'gift' was a mono-pod. We got our first magagzine, the Sepetember issue a week after it arrived in the shops and the 'gift' arrived on Monday morning by registered post, the third one they had sent out. Good job I really wanted the magazine eh? I was getting close to cancelling.

Ron

Ron

Thats interesting - I recently started a subscription to Birdwatching in September and got the very next issue (Octobers) on Saturday....but...

No sign of the monopod free gift yet - maybe you got em all!

(Actually if the others turn up you would have three monopods - enought for a tripod!)

All the best

Tim

I edit the sightings for the magazines and we can only put them in if someone sends them to us in the first place ...

Believe me, I would love to include more from the Highlands, Western Isles, deeside etc - all under represented not to mention various English counties such as Hertfordshire, Staffs etc

If your area isn't there and you can either do the job yourself or know someone who can, please get in touch with the magazine

Gordon

I received a letter inviting me to renew my subscription and offering me 2 free issues if I did so by Direct Debit. It seemed like a good offer especially as the price was only £7.95 for 3 months.

After phoning to set it up I received a confirmation letter but unfortunately it suggested that my direct debit payments would start immediately (ie. no free issues). I phoned (left hanging for ages before anyone answered) and was told not to worry, this was a standard letter and I'd receive my free issues. By 9th September I had received no magazine. Phoned again - same hassle. Meanwhile I noticed they had collected the direct debit in August. Phoned again, and again, and again and eventually a lady said she would sort the whole mess out for me. I eventually received a letter confirming that no further payments would be taken until January. Unfortunately the amount on the direct debit was now £8.95!

Total cock-up from start to finish. I have now cancelled my direct debit and written a letter of complaint to the EMAP Active CEO.

To make this fiasco even more irritating, whenever I phoned I was put on hold and had to listen to a message telling me it was far less busy if I phoned in the evening. When I phoned in the evening I was still put on hold and had to listen to the same message!:-C

Well with a name like that you can't expect things to go right can you.
I bet you couldn't belieeeeeeve it!!!

I gave up reading that mag when they suggested getting a cat to stop other cats coming into your garden!!

I compile the Fife sightings for Bird Watching and read all Scottish reports every month. Can confirm that Martin contributes the months he has enough news to compile report.
Tom

Interesting that in a magazine discussion in another forum Bird Watching was regarded as the bees knees - much better than Birdwatch. Not my personal opinion, mind.

I used to have a subscription, Xmas present, and never had any problem with it, in fact I got my mags before they hit the shops. Although I did wait for the first one for a few months although they did tell me when it would start. I got a rucksack more or less at the same time as the mag.
Personally I prefer it to Birdwatch which its a bit to wide ranging for me. I dont consider myself an expert and feel more comfortable with Birdwatching. It has lots of information as well, I particularly like the birdwalks section.
I still get Birdwatch from time to time just to see if its changed at all. Each to their own.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back