• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching v mammal watching (2 Viewers)

Going off on a tangent somewhat, opened the bucket of seed this morning, and there were 3 field mice! Most amusing trying to watch them jump out of the bucket. As though they had springs attached to their feet! I had to take the bucket and gently position it so they could run out. And off they went, never to be seen again...until the next time

Richard W said:
according the news today we're one step closer to getting Beaver back on the list, plans to reintroduce them in Scotland though some landowners not too keen on the idea.

what about the various "Beast of (insert town/moor of choice)", do they count? ;)

im not surprised! - watched a documentary once about beavers, and couldnt believe how they changed the landscape around them, while they flooded streams etc. very interesting program though, i dont bank on many landowners actually wanting these on there property.....

ps: black panther in the north east ;)

helenol said:
Going off on a tangent somewhat, opened the bucket of seed this morning, and there were 3 field mice! Most amusing trying to watch them jump out of the bucket. As though they had springs attached to their feet! I had to take the bucket and gently position it so they could run out. And off they went, never to be seen again...until the next time

you might of unwittingly unleased them to the dangers of your local raptors Helen :eek!: - betcha there extinct field mice now. ;)

salty said:
you might of unwittingly unleased them to the dangers of your local raptors Helen :eek!: - betcha there extinct field mice now. ;)
nahh, be the tawnys tonight probably... Anyway, zillions of the things around here.

Richard W said:
there's also a "Scilly Shrew" which I saw a few times on Tresco, is a subspecies? unique to the Islands.

It's a form of Lesser White-toothed Shrew, sometimes (usually?) given subspecific status. Assumed to have been an accidental and fairly ancient introduction - not found elsewhere in the British Isles.

Skies full of Buzzards and Red kites during the day, Tawnies at night.

cant blame them for being in your bucket ;)

on the subject of Zillions at Rainham on Sunday the wardens lifted a sheet of 8x4 ply which had obviously been there some time and I've never seen so many small mammals, Short Tailed Voles to be precise.

had all vanished in a few seconds, the marshes must be heaving with them.

timmyjones said:
What Mamals exist in the U.K anyone like to contribute.

1. Rabbit
2. Squirrel
3. Hare
4. Fallow Deer
5. Red Deer
6. Roe Deer
7. Brown Rat
8. Field Mouse
9. House Mouse
9. Bank Vole
10. Dormouse
11. Wild Cat
12. Red-Necked Wallaby
13. Fox
14. Badger
15. Hedghog
16. ??????

Don't you have Black Rat???We have both Brown and Black here.

Anyways I'm 80% Birder and 20% anything else.Mind u in the summer I'm quite a Fish Watcher.So many new tropical species have been found in the Aegean (and in the Mediterenean in general) from Parrot Fish to Angel and Butterfly Fish(Global Warming?).

When the land around our house was not covered ( :C now it is... ) in cement

There were about 15 species of Butterfly plus loads of other creepy crawlies.I love them still.But can't see them any more...

In Australia I enjoy mamal watching.Things are easier there,the animals don't go running for cover when there's a human in site...And I LOVE Fruit Bats.

salty said:
im not surprised! - watched a documentary once about beavers, and couldnt believe how they changed the landscape around them, while they flooded streams etc. very interesting program though, i dont bank on many landowners actually wanting these on there property.....

ps: black panther in the north east ;)

It's north american beaver that changes the landscape not european.

Steve

Watched 2 foxes (vixens?) on Sunday morning in our back garden sunning themselves sheltered by 2 large fuschia bushes from the cold easterly winds. Next doors cats didn't venture in while they were there. While the collared dove kept jumping down to the ground for nesting material the wood pigeons were not so sure and stayed up high in the birch tree.

Gave me the cance to see more bird visitors to the garden.

Quite a good 30 minutes till the call of the loo got the better of me.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back