• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Etiquette (2 Viewers)

birdergraeme

Hi

I'm brand new to birding, so is there any general rules so I don't upset others.

For example, clothing - what do you wear? Is there certain things you don't wear - loud tshirts for example?

just not wanting to step on anyones toes or frighten the wildlife.

thanks

I never understand why birdwatchers are dressed for the jungle-camouflage hat,jacket and trousers - when spending a leisurely day in the hides of Leighton Moss!
Always makes me chortle when I witness the annual twitch at a well known Hawfinch site.The bird watchers turn up in head -to -toe green.Whilst waiting for someone to spot a Hawfinch for them, they stand in the middle of the car park talking at the top of their voices!
I mean,what is the point!

Last edited:
Hi

I'm brand new to birding, so is there any general rules so I don't upset others.

For example, clothing - what do you wear? Is there certain things you don't wear - loud tshirts for example?

thanks

Avoid unnecessary movement and noise; that scares birds away more than anything else. Also, show consideration for other people. There, that's you being better than most birdwatchers!

Hi

thanks
Regarding ethics, the ABA guidelines linked above cover most of the issues.

When it comes to clothing, just wear what you want, as long as it's practical and not obscene. Some people may look down on you if you wear everyday clothes (or anything else that isn't para-military or oil rig gear), but frankly, you can ignore them if they do. I'm not sure if bright colours really have an effect on birds, but you may want to wear drab, or inconspicuous, colours just to be sure.

If you can afford one, buy a decent scope if you don't want to frighten off the wildlife.
They don't necessarily cost a fortune especially if you get a good second hand one or end of the line scope.I got a brilliant Nikon Scope which was superseded by a newer model for £250 including eyepiece,brand new.
It enables you to see the birds from a distance without alerting them.The has been a modern development to photograph birds whereby photographers find it necessary to get as close to the birds as possible,sometimes causing disturbance.

Camouflage gear is more a style thing, (especially when standing in a carpark talking loudly) unless it's been treated for infra red resistance. Personally, I wear mainly drab colours, but don't think it makes a blind bit of difference. Humans notice other humans because of shape, shine, silhouette, shadow, surface etc, but more importantly movement and noise. Birds have a far better range for detecting danger, including far more practice! Camouflage is only relevant if you intend to hide in the open and even then, I haven't seen any birders with cam cream on their faces to break up that shiny moonshaped face when they look up!

Camouflage gear is more a style thing, (especially when standing in a carpark talking loudly) unless it's been treated for infra red resistance. Personally, I wear mainly drab colours, but don't think it makes a blind bit of difference. Humans notice other humans because of shape, shine, silhouette, shadow, surface etc, but more importantly movement and noise. Birds have a far better range for detecting danger, including far more practice! Camouflage is only relevant if you intend to hide in the open and even then, I haven't seen any birders with cam cream on their faces to break up that shiny moonshaped face when they look up!
If I am trying to photograph birds from a blind, I usually wear a camo face mask. It seems to be the flash of white deep in the blind that scares the bird.
I happen to have along white beard which probably doesn't help.;)

Hi Graeme, and welcome to Birdforum. As long as your clothing is fairly drab it doesn't matter about the actual colour. Try to wear stuff that doesn't rustle to much as you'll be finding birds by sound as much as by sight and it doesn't help if your clothes sound like someone munching a packet of crisps. As long as you are moving in a "natural" fashion, and not looking like a predator, birds tend to ignore people. Having said that, sudden movement, or sticking your arm out of a hide will send everything scuttling for safety. As long as you talk in your usual voice that won't disturb the birds, whispering has a lot of sibilant sounds that many species find unnerving. It all boils down to being reasonably unobtrusive, remembering that birds are attuned to anything that may be a predator and ....... enjoying yourself.

One tip that some UK birders need to learn: when at a twitch, don't smoke unless you're downwind of everyone else. Actually, a good idea not to smoke at all while birding, as birds will also fear the smell of smoke (they can't tell it from dangerous wildfires).

whispering has a lot of sibilant sounds that many species find unnerving.
You could alwayth try whithpering with a lithp like thith, that removth the thibilant thoundth :t:

One tip that some UK birders need to learn: when at a twitch, don't smoke unless you're downwind of everyone else. Actually, a good idea not to smoke at all while birding, as birds will also fear the smell of smoke.

At least 45 years of smoking while birding hasn't, as far as I can recall, scared off any birds. Loud, "My body is a temple", diesel driving, pre-packaged sandwich eating birders complaining, on the other hand, often has. ;)

If I am trying to photograph birds from a blind, I usually wear a camo face mask. It seems to be the flash of white deep in the blind that scares the bird.
I happen to have along white beard which probably doesn't help.;)

If they're Snowy Owls like your username, becareful. They might think you are a potential mate3:)
Either that or someone forget to switch off the flash;)

And Graeme, a belated welcome from me as well, (sorry I didn't notice your post count)

Yes, never post anything in the Rare Bird Forum ;)

Wise words! There seem to be more oddballs in birding than in the population in general and there are even more of these at the more obsessive end of the hobby, so the Rare Bird Forum has rather a lot of predators.

If you're in the UK, then BF will be very useful to you but if you're in your native NZ, then try:

http://www.birdingnz.net/forum/

Peter

I was in a hide today with my wife at Alkborough on the confluence of the Ouse and the Trent. Also present were two retired gents who had turned away from the open flaps of the hide and were ignoring the birds present . They proceeded to bitch about other birders for the twenty mins we could stand being there. Both would appear to have been twitchers, as apposed to birders and did not have a good word to say about others that they met on recent trips. Is it good manners to leave or challenge them on their unsociable behaviour?

Hi Chrislawson, welcome to BirdForum. I'd say there's nothing wrong with asking them to keep it down a bit, that might shut them up entirely.

As a rule of thumb head to foot camo gear, the most expensive binos (really helps you find the bird), ditto scope (although you leave it in the car because you can't carry it), and then a matching camo camera. Never fails to see the bird. Don't forget when you have seen the bird get in everyone else way and talk really loudly on your phone 'yeah, thats 532 this month - all self found'....

Comfy cloths for me - I prefer a collar of some sort to stop chaffing round the neck. As others have said I think that you actions and fieldcraft ensure whether or not you see birds.

I was in a hide today with my wife at Alkborough on the confluence of the Ouse and the Trent. Also present were two retired gents who had turned away from the open flaps of the hide and were ignoring the birds present . They proceeded to bitch about other birders for the twenty mins we could stand being there. Both would appear to have been twitchers, as apposed to birders and did not have a good word to say about others that they met on recent trips. Is it good manners to leave or challenge them on their unsociable behaviour?

I favour in a warm and pleasant tone, while smiling sweetly, the "Good morning gentlemen! It's nice to know all the birds here are used to loud conversation. I must come here more often..." approach.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back