• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this bird? (2 Viewers)

Hi,
I'm new and am from Victoria, Australia. Nice to meet you all and look forward to learning about birds. I have recorded a bird sound from my garden, I have tried to find out what type of bird this is to no avail. So wondered if someone can identify it from this sound? I have attached a brief recording of the bird sound. I have tried BirdNet and uploaded the recording and it came up with Eurasian Blackbird yet when I listened to all the examples of the sounds, none of them matched this sound. wav. file attached,
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Bird.wav
    990.5 KB
Hi AmateurBirdMan and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It definitely isn't a Eurasian Blackbird, but I'm struggling to think what it is, I'm sure I heard it when I visited. No doubt someone will be along soon to help!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

That's a Pacific Koel (Eudynamys orientalis). It is a migratory species in eastern Australia and is now regular in Melbourne suburbs through the summer months. One reached Hamilton in western Victoria in the summer of 1998-99.

That's a Pacific Koel (Eudynamys orientalis). It is a migratory species in eastern Australia and is now regular in Melbourne suburbs through the summer months. One reached Hamilton in western Victoria in the summer of 1998-99.
Hi Steve, thanks for the info. What sort of bird sound/call is it for? Food? Protection? Joy?

Hi again ABM

I'm so pleased someone has managed to identify the bird in your recording. I wonder if you'd mind if I added it to our Opus article for this species: Pacific Koel - BirdForum Opus you will be fully credited, in the same way that the pictures are.

If you could give the actual date you recorded it, I'd be very grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back