• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding/Guide in Camargue region, France? (1 Viewer)

Tucson Birder

United States
Hello, I'll be in France next month, and visiting the Camargue region from July 11-16. Although I'm an experienced birding in the US (especially SE Arizona), I was thinking I might get more out of my visit if I could find a guide for a day or two, but have been unsuccessful in finding someone available at that time. If anyone out there has a lead, I'd be grateful. Or even some specific tips for where to spend my time. Thanks- Sharon (Tucson Birder)

is a pretty good book. A top tip in France is to speak a bit of French. English is fairly widely spoken, although quite a few people do speak little or non, but visitors not making any attempt can get a frosty reception; an attempt to speak a few words can make a big difference.

is a pretty good book. A top tip in France is to speak a bit of French. English is fairly widely spoken, although quite a few people do speak little or non, but visitors not making any attempt can get a frosty reception; an attempt to speak a few words can make a big difference.

And a list with French bird names helps too .... makes discussing with local birders about what's around a lot smoother.

And a list with French bird names helps too .... makes discussing with local birders about what's around a lot smoother.
I have to admit I haven't done that but, despite having spent many months in total in France, I'm not sure I have ever met a French birder in France, although I think I have elsewhere.

There are several threads where folk, including me, have asked for Camargue information.

I'd suggest a visit to Réserve Naturelle du Marais du Vigueirat and Réserve Naturelle de l'Etang du Scamandre. A visit to la Crau might be interesting too (Pin-Tailed Sandgrouse, Little Bustard, Calandra Lark, Lesser Kestrel, Southern Grey Shrike, Roller and Little Owl) even though this is not the best time of the year and bustard, sandgrouse and lark might be hard to find.

This stretch of road always has interesting birds (Slender Billed Gulls, Terns, Waders and Spectacled Warbler in the Salicornia/Tamarisks) : Capture d’écran (6).png

Be aware that July will be very hot there, it's very important to bird early in the morning/late in the evening as birds will probably be mostly inactive in the middle of the day (especially in La Crau).
Also don't forget to bring mosquito reppellent, Camargue is known for it's high densities of mosquitoes.

I'd suggest a visit to Réserve Naturelle du Marais du Vigueirat and Réserve Naturelle de l'Etang du Scamandre. A visit to la Crau might be interesting too (Pin-Tailed Sandgrouse, Little Bustard, Calandra Lark, Lesser Kestrel, Southern Grey Shrike, Roller and Little Owl) even though this is not the best time of the year and bustard, sandgrouse and lark might be hard to find.

This stretch of road always has interesting birds (Slender Billed Gulls, Terns, Waders and Spectacled Warbler in the Salicornia/Tamarisks) : View attachment 1518264

Be aware that July will be very hot there, it's very important to bird early in the morning/late in the evening as birds will probably be mostly inactive in the middle of the day (especially in La Crau).
Also don't forget to bring mosquito reppellent, Camargue is known for its high densities of mosquitoes.
Thank you for that information. We had planed on La Crau but didn’t know about the other places you mentioned . We are from Arizona and used to hot weather -today it will be 103 degrees F (40C) here and we’re treating some of some of our clothes with permethrin spray before we go.

Thank you for that information. We had planed on La Crau but didn’t know about the other places you mentioned . We are from Arizona and used to hot weather -today it will be 103 degrees F (40C) here and we’re treating some of some of our clothes with permethrin spray before we go.
Good, I think Camargue in July should be between 30-35°C.
Enjoy your trip !

A top tip in France is to speak a bit of French. English is fairly widely spoken, although quite a few people do speak little or non, but visitors not making any attempt can get a frosty reception; an attempt to speak a few words can make a big difference.
On many visits to France, I can't say I have ever received a frosty reception for my lack of French. Must be my natural born charm 😅

On many visits to France, I can't say I have ever received a frosty reception for my lack of French. Must be my natural born charm 😅
I suspect as well-travelled man like yourself can manage, bonjour, ca va, merci etc. That puts you above a lot of people. I've had many people tell me about rude French waiters. I've never experienced that. I suspect it is because, although my French is pretty crap, they can see I'm making an attempt to order and respond in French.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back