• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

This reminds me. Whatever happened to the user known as "WPLBird Club"? I miss the postings of sightings from "Stoke-on-Trent's premier birding hot spot"! ;)

Hi Richard,

I have PM'd "WPLBirdclub" to try and persuade him to come back and continue to post sightings from Westport.

Lets see what happens.

Dean

hopefully swynerton landfill will be getting the ringed bill gull from moor NR
then roosting and bathing at cop mere / coldmeece

welcome scott my mate of who can drive to such locations as coomb hill meadow for stil sand :)

there are 3 iceland gulls in staffs tonight belvide/chasewater /cop mere

Last edited:
Copmere

Hi Steve - nice one with the Little Egret - only 2 other records for the site from 1996 and 1997.

Welcome aboard Scott - hope you'll post some Doxey sightings too.

Nick

Packed in a few sites today around work;

Blithfield - 1 fem Scaup, 1 Oystercatcher

Uttox Quarry - 44 Barnie Geese, 12 Greyslags, 25 Goosander, pair of Stonechat, 1 Green Sand

Copmere - Little Egret 1 (a site tick for me), plus the pale/advanced? 1w Iceland Gull. Not many large gulls in the roost, but c.1500 Black-heads.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Richard,

I have PM'd "WPLBirdclub" to try and persuade him to come back and continue to post sightings from Westport.

Lets see what happens.

Dean

you might have to send him a message via e-mail as he hasn't been online since 21st of december, so i think it might be a while till he reads any personal messages.

i think westport is a really good site, maybe not staffs premier site, but still pretty good. over 100 species a year is good for any site, but for somewhere so small and located in an urban area its fantastic and regular reports are a great help.
adam

Fletcher Road has another rarity - honest! The Euroasian Roadrunner! (See attached!)

And our not at all shy thrush. Hoping that at least one of my days from work allow us to get out and about - going stir crazy at the moment.

Attachments

• roadrunner.jpg
    roadrunner.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 23
  • frush5.jpg
    frush5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 12
Hi Adam,

There is an email facility on Birdforum but he has not given permission for emails to be sent so not possible.

He may open up Birdforum at some point soon and see the message.

If you see him down there perhaps you could have a chat with him (assuming you know him) and try and persuade him.

I don't think there is any more that I or anyone else can do.

Cheers

Dean:t:

Hi Steve - nice one with the Little Egret - only 2 other records for the site from 1996 and 1997.

Nick

Cool - I knew the place hadn't recorded one for many years, but didn't know there were so few total records. As nice as the Iceland Gull was, the egret was the star bird...all in all a bit of a white-out ;)

Steve

Siskin Invasion.

Only managed half a day at work today due to the weather. Just been watching the birds on the side feeders and there must have been a minimum of 50 Siskins. Also Redpolls, Bulfinches, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Dunnock, House sparrow, Starling, Redwing and Blackbird.

Visited Coldmeece again this afternoon, but very few gulls present, with only a dozen or so over the tip & non loafing around in the fields. The highlight of the day will have to be my first Green pecker of the year at Keele. Wont be seeing any gulls for a while now, as off to Brazil tomorrow for a few weeks :t:. I (hopefully) have a date with a Harpy Eagle & should to crack the magical 5,000 species barrierB :).

Mark

Visited Coldmeece again this afternoon, but very few gulls present, with only a dozen or so over the tip & non loafing around in the fields. The highlight of the day will have to be my first Green pecker of the year at Keele. Wont be seeing any gulls for a while now, as off to Brazil tomorrow for a few weeks :t:. I (hopefully) have a date with a Harpy Eagle & should to crack the magical 5,000 species barrierB :).

Mark

A waste tip in England on snowy February day or a few weeks in Brazil. Where would I most like to be? Huuum, Let me think........:-O

Have a good trip Mark.

Hi Keele birder, have a great time in Brazil, hope you get to see a few maga's. Don't forget to report in when you get back. Best wishes. Neil.

Enville South Staffs'

Hey up folks, haven't been on for a couple of days the old computer as been playin' up a bit.

Snow Buntin' at Enville? In the early nineties Enville had a bit of a good run, i can remember seeing Snow Bunta there,Woodlark, Black Redstart and a couple of Red Kites. Back in those days Kites were still rare! Oh and Goshawk as well! They were all on the Sheepwalks above the village.

If i remember rightly i went at least once with old Sylvia before he became a "Filthy Tick Hungry Twitcher".

How the other half live eh, BRAZIL! Have a good un pal.

Nice one with the Egret Steve.

cheers

Andy.

Hey up folks, haven't been on for a couple of days the old computer as been playin' up a bit.

Snow Buntin' at Enville? In the early nineties Enville had a bit of a good run, i can remember seeing Snow Bunta there,Woodlark, Black Redstart and a couple of Red Kites. Back in those days Kites were still rare! Oh and Goshawk as well! They were all on the Sheepwalks above the village.

If i remember rightly i went at least once with old Sylvia before he became a "Filthy Tick Hungry Twitcher".

cheers

Andy.

Remember the day well, ticked Woodlark :eek!:

Happy memeories :t:

Sylvia.

hi
adam havent seen black redstart since the 2nd february could be still around
or it has moved on now
garden today had
male sparrowhawk perched in tree
2 grey wagtails
2 song thrush
2 lesser redpoll which i think are only here because of the cold snap
were the only birds of intrest the rest were here in usual numbers

Hales Hall Pool

Had a wander around Hales Hall Pool (Cheadles very own wetland) this afternoon. There seemed to be an increase in numbers of Canada Geese and the White Fronted Goose is still present.

I also saw

Siskin,
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Dunnock
Wren
House Sparrow
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Starling
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Black Headed Gull
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Coot
Moorhen

Had a good view of a pair of Goosander in flight and circling the pool about 5 times before making a decision not to land on the pool. Great to watch in flight though.

Last edited:
Hey up Dean, now is a good time to look for Water Rail at The Pond! All the Birds i've seen at this "Staffordshire Hotspot" have been during very cold weather like we are currently experienceing. Many moons ago i had Firecrest and Water Rail on the same afternoon in the Cheesedale area, both Cheesedale Megas!!

cheers

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I was scanning for Water Rail today but no joy. It will happen one day!! The closest I've got to a Wader there is a Snipe in flight over the sight.

I like Hales Hall. You get all your usuals there but every now and again a surprise drops in.

Its good to know that Goosanders are about as well. Jim saw two pairs there a few days ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back