• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

Waxwings

Had a quick look Keith but didn't see them or what they could be feeding off.

Couldn't stay long because the missus had the dinner on :t: and it's started to snow again! :C
No berries on the 3 tall trees in the garden Rob but the height of the trees are what attracts them me thinks berries on Deans Ln tho.

then went to apart never been before which is at the back of primrose hill drive i think
and found another pool plus 10 reed bunting in a ash tree coppice ;)
plus 7 lesser redpoll and the probale mealy redpoll from 28/12/08
and on the way back had 50 linnet been chased by kestrel

can anyone ID this found it in a ditch with running water so it wasnt frozen
a bird that flys like a kingfisher but has no blue instead light brownish colour
didnt make a call all i saw was its back then dissapered round corner of the ditch any ideas ???

Nice work with the probable Mealy there Rob - did you manage to note any features on it e.g. size and rump colour? I'll try and get down there at some point and have a look.

No idea what you're mystery bird is. Sounds vaguely like a Dipper, apart from the colour?!

Cheers
Steve

Nice work with the probable Mealy there Rob - did you manage to note any features on it e.g. size and rump colour? I'll try and get down there at some point and have a look.

No idea what you're mystery bird is. Sounds vaguely like a Dipper, apart from the colour?!

Cheers
Steve

yeah dipper went through my mind but thought theres no way theres going be one here not wide enough but was quite fast flow not many rocks though

the redpoll had bright white rump and look slightly bigger than the other lessers they were feeding on willow herb seeds and were quite approchable just above the ash tree coppice which is one of the srtangest things i have seen

This is very embarassing, I live literally round the corner from there (@ Crofters Court!) and I've not even heard a Waxwing recently, never mind seen one - time to give up birding methinks :-C

S

I couldn't believe my eyes! I'd been visiting a relative and came out to say goodbye and looked up because I heard them and O my God :eek!: 36 of them - felt I could touch them. The relation said they've been driving us mad all week with their noise -them damn things! they want shooting ha-ha too which I said you'd better not! I've got some pics with their camera but I don't think they will be any good,they will email them too me so as. If they are any good I will post them.

yeah dipper went through my mind but thought theres no way theres going be one here not wide enough but was quite fast flow not many rocks though

the redpoll had bright white rump and look slightly bigger than the other lessers they were feeding on willow herb seeds and were quite approchable just above the ash tree coppice which is one of the srtangest things i have seen

That does sound like a Common (Mealy) Redpoll - I've found Primrose Hill Road on the Street Atlas, I guess you walked there via the footpath along the canal? I haven't really explored the area much recently since they started clearing the area for development, so any other directions/landmarks/grid refs!! you could give would be helpful.

Chitlings Brook is also marked on the map for the area - is that where you had the mystery bird?!

Cheers
Steve

I couldn't believe my eyes! I'd been visiting a relative and came out to say goodbye and looked up because I heard them and O my God :eek!: 36 of them - felt I could touch them. The relation said they've been driving us mad all week with their noise -them damn things! they want shooting ha-ha too which I said you'd better not! I've got some pics with their camera but I don't think they will be any good,they will email them too me so as. If they are any good I will post them.

Ace - it's great when that happens :t: I'll try and have a look for them during the week if the weather allows.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Rob, I was going to suggest a Dipper. I was up Lathkill yesterday and studied them for a few hours. They fly quite low and fast. Their habitat is the uppermost part of the stream where the stream starts as water seeps from the limestone so I wouldn't dismiss it!
Here's one shot in flight.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 18
Hi Rob, I was going to suggest a Dipper. I was up Lathkill yesterday and studied them for a few hours. They fly quite low and fast. Their habitat is the uppermost part of the stream where the stream starts as water seeps from the limestone so I wouldn't dismiss it!
Here's one shot in flight.

If it does turn out to be a Dipper (however unlikely), it might be worth checking if it's a Black-bellied Dipper...hey, you never know! My endless optimism/predicting tends to serve me pretty well ;)

Cheers
Steve

The four Scaup still in Blithe Bay this afternoon.

Spent a couple of hours at Bith this morning. Tad covered in a thin layer of ice. Near ad Yellow Leg on the ice with a handful of big gulls. Walked around Beech Tree Point past a male Stonechat perched on the fence posts. 4 Scaup (2 prs) in Blithe bay + 36 Barnacles (the JCB crew.) Quick look off the dam; 1st wint Caspian Gull just sat on the water off the dam on its own. Finally to finish the morning off a Black Swan swimming round in the middle of the deep end.

Max.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 21
If it does turn out to be a Dipper (however unlikely), it might be worth checking if it's a Black-bellied Dipper...hey, you never know! My endless optimism/predicting tends to serve me pretty well ;)

Cheers
Steve

very optimistic but would be great bird for staffs
well if anyone else wants to check for this mystery bird its on longton brook which runs along the canal tow path until the brook turns left and follows along the backs of peoples houses which is constance avenue

but there is another ditch with water in which is quite hard to look at without trespassing

The Derbyshire bird is a different one to the Tame Valley bird (both still present this morning). See my blog for Tame Valley sightings ;-)
Hi Tom (Periwinkle)

Thanks for referring me to your blog, which I think is excellent and which I will have a look at on a regular basis. In fact if any more-northerly Staffs birders are planning a trip to the county's more easterly edges (eg Whitemoor Haye/Croxall Lakes) and then southish into Warwickshire for a day's birding, I strongly recommend you have a look at Periwinkle's blog.

Cheers

Andy

Look forward to seeing them Dean.:t: How close can you get to them to photograph?

Hi Rob,

You can get very close to them but will need to wait and stay still using your car as a hide. Whitemore Haye is excellent for bird photography and birding in general. Great location to walk around as well.

I'll post my Kestral shots shortly. I was very close to the Kestral and managed a few other shots as well. However, I was mainly interested in photographing Kestral and spent about five hours getting the shot I was looking for. I managed some shots of Yellowhammer, an unusual shot of a Dunnock etc.

I need to get an OS map of the area so that I can check out some of the public footpaths. My next B of P project will be to photograph Buzzard at close quarters. I know a tree where two of them regularly perch with little disturbance but it will require some ninja tactics, patience and good luck.

Dean:t:

Dean

Last edited:
Long-eared Owl

While at work today I was handed a dead Long-eared Owl. On closer inspection it appears to be a female 2nd winter bird.

It was found in a garden at the north end of Stafford after flying into a window of a house on the Parkside estate. Birds have been recorded on Doxey Marshes but would be interesting if anyone new of a roost locally.

A Water Pipit has also been reported on Doxey Marshes on Darling Pasture, viewable from the willow-screened platform.

Copmere 16:00 - 17:15

Little Egret in tree over on the far side
goldeneye 6
wigeon c.35
tufted duck 120+
goosander 7

small gull roost

black headed gull c.200
lesser black backed 20
heriing gull 3

water was 2/3 frozen and the gulls were standing on the ice in the middle

Martyn

This is very embarassing, I live literally round the corner from there (@ Crofters Court!) and I've not even heard a Waxwing recently, never mind seen one - time to give up birding methinks :-C

S

Hi Steve,

There is a North Staffordshire counselling support service that runs alongside this thread for those still struggling to locate and see Waxwing and who are becoming depressed. I can refer you to it if you want me to.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Copmere 16:00 - 17:15

Little Egret in tree over on the far side
goldeneye 6
wigeon c.35
tufted duck 120+
goosander 7

small gull roost

black headed gull c.200
lesser black backed 20
heriing gull 3

water was 2/3 frozen and the gulls were standing on the ice in the middle

Martyn

Nice to hear that the egret is still around, keep up the good work :t:

Cheers
Steve

Redpoll Study

Hi all, I have been spending a considerable amount of time watching the finches in my garden, in particular the Redpolls..... As most of you know I get a lot of finches coming in now on a regular basis. 3 months ago I was happy with a few Goldfinches and Redpolls with the odd Siskin thrown in.

My study has been mainly with the Redpolls and the somtimes huge colour variation between them. I am no expert, just curious why there is these variations, is it to do with 1st or 2nd year male or female? I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable guys on here could shed a bit of light on the subject.

I have included 5 photo's with some, but not all the colour variations that I have seen. I have not post edited any of the pictures apart from exposure as some were a bit dark.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 14
Dudesville hits Blithers!

Hey up folks, won't bore you with the bird details(there aren't any) but i just thought i'd let you know about the Wonderful new facility that as replaced the Eric Clare hide at Blithers in Tad Bay. The ESC hide was part of birdin' folklore in staffordshire but it's been replaced by a new hi-tec hide with all the latest mod cons! When i got there this a'noon i found RP in shorts and T shirt plus slippers, readin' the "Bombay Times" in readiness for his trip to India on tuesday. The drinks machine went down a treat, what with the weather outside, although the prices are a bit steep! After a while i had to ask Rp to turn the heating off, i wasn't really dressed for the heat(more like lack of it).

It's very nice but i much prefer, sittin' on a plank havin' a natter in the elements outside the hide.:t:

I only hope the visitor centre does oatcakes when it finally opens.

cheers

Andy.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back