• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Shame the fields cant be made completely in to a LNR, just doing a sign for Ferndown LNR (site map) not a bad little spot ( off A500,Clayton) but not patch on BH.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris

Never heard of that place before, where exactly is it - off Ferndown Drive?! What's the sketch with habo, etc there?!

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Ferndown LNR map attached.... i hope

Chris

Very Nice! We'll have to try and improve on the 40 species of bird recorded so far!

Interesting to see that White-letter Hairstreak has been recorded on site - that would be a butterfly lifer for me I think (but then I am a bit of a tart when it comes to flutterbys ;) )

Cheers
Steve

Very Nice! We'll have to try and improve on the 40 species of bird recorded so far!

Interesting to see that White-letter Hairstreak has been recorded on site - that would be a butterfly lifer for me I think (but then I am a bit of a tart when it comes to flutterbys ;) )

Cheers
Steve

Yes Steve, I'm pretty sure we could improve on that and it's only half a mile away from me!! Not a bad site but suffers with the same problem as a lot of areas in and around Clayton and that's the noise from M6. I used to use the area around Wye Road and Rowley/Bunny Hill as my local patch but the noise drives you bonkers after a bit.

Cheers
Craig

Hi Russell,

Great to hear about the Partridges used to see them regularly years back when i was a kid there.
Shame the fields cant be made completely in to a LNR, just doing a sign for Ferndown LNR (site map) not a bad little spot ( off A500,Clayton) but not patch on BH.

What is the bh list standing at now anyway?

Cheers Chris

...just to answer your question on behalf of Russell, the Berry Hill list now stands at 137 - hopefully the autumn will bring a new one or two! If you go onto the Opus you can view all the species which have been recorded on 'the hill'.

Cheers
Steve

Ahoy land lubbers! BTW, I can highly recommend a trip on the Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry at this time of year.

Great Shearwaters (my new favourite bird 3:)), plus Cory's, Sooty, Balearic and Manx Shearwaters, Sabine's Gulls (including a group of seven adults, beat that Upton Warren! 3:)), Storm Petrels, Great Skuas, Grey Phalarope. Cetaceans included Fin, Cuvier's Beaked and Pilot Whales, Common, Striped and Bottlenose Dolphins.

In a break from a marathon blogging stint yesterday, I had another look at the Wezza Ring-Necked Duck (is it me or is there less of a tuft now?). Then back at work today :-C, but a flyover Hobby at Doxey in my lunch break.

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Steve,

Was hoping a stray Red Grouse might of been on there, have a hazy memory of walking across there with me Dad 30+ years (41 now) ago and nearly treading on a rusty coloured bird with a bit of red on its head, which promptly shot up and away, and got me a clout round the head for swearing! arrrrrr memories

Best sighting though about 25yrs back at BH 4 Short Eared Owls altogether in clear few.

Chris

Hi Russell,

Great to hear about the Partridges used to see them regularly years back when i was a kid there.

What is the bh list standing at now anyway?

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry I could not get back to you,suffering from erratic broadband speeds from mid-day yesterday.Anyhow Steve gave you the info.

Russell

Yes Steve, I'm pretty sure we could improve on that and it's only half a mile away from me!! Not a bad site but suffers with the same problem as a lot of areas in and around Clayton and that's the noise from M6. I used to use the area around Wye Road and Rowley/Bunny Hill as my local patch but the noise drives you bonkers after a bit.

Cheers
Craig

We did a small mammal survey there earlier this year. Nothing exotic found (no surprise there) but the dozen or so locals who turned up to see what we;d trapped were genuinely very interested. IRC bird life consisted mostly of common garden types plus Blackcap and Willow Warbler.

caverswall today

200 b/h gulls
2 raven
goldfinches flock up to 100 birds
bullfinches 10 birds flew out of rowans.
3 buzzards
1 f/m sparrow hawk

As I'm away to Cornwall at the weekend I thought I'd have a peep at the Cornwall Birding thread. Judging by the spat that's going on there, we all must be the best of buds!!!

Cheers
Craig

As I'm away to Cornwall at the weekend I thought I'd have a peep at the Cornwall Birding thread. Judging by the spat that's going on there, we all must be the best of buds!!!

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig,

I just had a read and your right. What a spat. Its a shame really as it spoils the thread when all people really want is good quality birding reports and photo's etc.

I think we are all a friendly bunch up here. However, don't mention Woodlarks we could have a spat on our hands :eek!:

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

Hi Craig, Dean.

Just had a read of the Cornwall thread better than Corrie! did I read it right that one of the guys spotted the other at the railway station through his bins , thats a long platform.

Grateful for this thread, especially on a rainy night like this

Chris

Woodlark

OK, I won't say where it was taken but I think it's a Woodlark Dean.
Happy birding
Jim

Attachments

• Woodlark printed_resize.jpg
    Woodlark printed_resize.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 45
At long last a Woodlark photo on the thread. Nice one Jim I'll have to get my field guide out and check it against that. I've not got round to finding one yet. This will help.

Happy Birding

Dean:t:

Hi Craig, Dean.

Just had a read of the Cornwall thread better than Corrie! did I read it right that one of the guys spotted the other at the railway station through his bins , thats a long platform.

Grateful for this thread, especially on a rainy night like this

Chris

Hey up Chris,

There's always bird stamp collecting that you could take up to occupy you through the dark nights that are now coming our way. I've just started to build a collection and fascinating it is to.

Dean

Happy Birding

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back