• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Aqualate Mere

Greetings!

Had a few hours in the mist and gloom this morning at a mirror like Aqualate Mere, which held disappointingly low numbers of Wildfowl for this time of year!

Highlights: (tale of the 1 of's)

Goosander x 1
Little Grebe x 3
Goldeneye x 1
Pochard x 18
Common Gull x 1
Grey Wagtail x 1
Marsh Tit x 1
Willow Tit x 1
Lesser Redpoll x 1

Little of anything unusual reported in the log Book either, over recent days/week.

Rob

Attachments

• DSCN2342 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2342 - Copy.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Had a wander around the most southerly of the lakes at JCB this afternoon with Terry Eyre and saw:-

Cormorant 3
Heron 1
Kingfisher 1
Pochard 1
Goosander 20
Great Crested Grebe 12
Goldcrest 1
Wren 1
Greenfinch 100
Starling 10
Redwing 4
Mute Swan 2 (in fields opposite)

Pleny of Mallards, Coot, Moorhen and Eygption Geese and Chaffinches about. Among the plastics on the other lake were 3 Shelduck, a single Widgeon, a couple of Mandarin and a Pintail. Good numbers of Black Headed Gulls about.

The Goosander departed, flying in the direction of Uttoxeter Quarry.

No sign of swirling masses of Starlings so far as has been seen in previous years.

Terry had two Tree Sparrows in his garden this morning. I had a Wren in my garden yesterday a bird I have not seen present for some time. This morning there were 20 Starlings bathing on water that has accumulated recently following the rain. Also 5 Collared Dove about.

Happy Birding

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Cracking photo of the Great Northern Diver there a few posts back. I love the detail and composition. Not been to Astbury Mere before and must get out there sometime.

Dean:t:

Happy Birding

greenfinch roost

some of the greenfinches gathering to roost near rocester seen by dean and myself. also had two tree sparrows in the garden today.

Attachments

• green.jpg
    green.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 11
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Uttoxeter Quarry 14:10-16:00

In addition to the Whooper Swans;

Little Egret 1
Green Sand 1
Barn Owl 1
Goldeneye 1
Goosander 54
Gadwall 2
Barnacle Goose 31
Lapwing c.400
Raven 6

Cheers
Steve

Knyperley Pool

Had a walk round today. I hoped to see the dipper but no luck. There was the normal stuff tits, nuthatch etc. Did get a couple of pics of a Jay, One of which I have posted.

Had a walk around Madeley yesterday. Got 23 species including Green Finch and Treecreeper. All the rest normal stuff.

Charlie

Attachments

• _MG_4126.jpg
    _MG_4126.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 12
  • _MG_4133.jpg
    _MG_4133.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 6
Nice pics Charlie, I am off on Wednesday so let me know if you want to do something. Neil.

Jim Morris

Hi All,Jim's wife has asked me to pass the message message on to the birding world,,
Jim Morris past away peacfully at home on sunday

he will be sadly missed

Jim Morris

I am very sorry to hear of this.
When this thread was originally started by Dean, Jim was very active in encouraging others to post their sightings and photo's.
Although I never met the guy, on line he was a gentleman.
I will be keeping a thought for his family at this sad time.
Mick
:-C

It was 7th April 2007 when Jim first posted on this thread and from that time he posted regularly and uploaded some great photo's.

I will never forget the bacon sandwiches he cooked from his camper van when up on Swallow Moss a few years ago while watching a Great Grey Shrike. I remember an early morning trip the day before when we visited Cannock Chase and saw no birds. Then there was the time we stood in freezing conditions on Berry Hill watching a Lapland Bunting and a trip we made over to Inner Marsh Farm one stormy day.

Jim loved his birds and bird photography. When he lived in Forsbrook he loved to see the badgers, foxes and wild birds that came into his and Rose's garden. He loved nature.

I am very sad to hear that Jim has passed away and I won't forget him. My thoughts are with Rose and his family at this sad time and I am sure he will be sadly missed by all who knew him and met him on Birdforum or out in the field.

Rest in Peace.

Dean

Last edited:
Jim was a great guy to be with, the life and soul of the party and always ready to crack a joke and have a laugh. Spent many good times with him, especially when I first came on here, he helped me out with choosing photography and digiscoping equipment and was always helpful. The Hanley Waxwings in 2008 sticks in my mind the most when the likes of Keith, Gray38 and other posters on here were present, at one point the police turned up and within a few minutes Jim was making them laugh along with a few old women who were wondering what was going on.

My prayers and thoughts go out to Rose, his wife, who was disabled herself, but always made you welcome when visiting.

God bless you Rose, and all the family.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back