• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (6 Viewers)

Park in the main Carpark walk to the waters edge and look for the birders with there scopes up and go stand with them. Any time after 3pm and wrap up warm its normally very cold there!!!!

Thanks Sylvia. Thought there might be more to it than that;-)

If the birders aren't by the main car park they will be further round, just past the powerboat club on the south side - there is an open area there that is more central to scan from...and yes, even when it's milder like today Chasewater is still cold!

Anything that makes watching Gulls exciting is a bonus - unless you are into them that is (can't say I'm the biggest fan!) - did you go in the end, if so how did you get on?

I did get up there but later than planned so didn't really get much out of it. Will try again sometime this week of I can get off work early;-)

On our regular walk from Ash Bank to Leek we had two highlights...
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on Brookhouse Lane and a large mixed flock of Goldfinch, Redpoll and Siskin on the Leek branch of the canal in Longsdon above the Hollybush in Denford.

I was back in Staffs last Friday, completing an owl survey at Coombes. Not much to report, just a few pheasants that scared the hell out of me flying off last minute through the darkness. It was just really good to be back on the old stomping ground, and even in the dark, it was possible to tell just how much thinning and restructuring has gone on in the woodland at Coombes. It should now provide even more suitable habitat for pied flycatchers, redstart, and hopefully wood warbler.

The new trail opens sometime this year as well, which will allow visitors to explore further down the valley and back along the woodland ride through Manouvers Wood; where there was singing tree pipit and calling cuckoo this year. Should be worth a visit.

Adam

Juv Wood Pig

Had a juvenile Wood Pigeon in the garden this morning which is certainly the
earliest by a long way that I have seen:eek!: No wonder there are so many
about if they are breeding for virtually 10 months of the year

Good set of garden birding over the weekend, with a max count of 20 Siskin being noted, they are hitting my seed stock quite hard, another trip to Garners is on the cards soon.
Also noted were the pair of Brambling, although they don't hang around the feeders for too long the Siskin don't allow them!

Tim.

Good set of garden birding over the weekend, with a max count of 20 Siskin being noted, they are hitting my seed stock quite hard, another trip to Garners is on the cards soon.
Also noted were the pair of Brambling, although they don't hang around the feeders for too long the Siskin don't allow them!

Tim.

Hi Tim i have been having up to 40+ birds coming in i had 7 last year ,they are going through lots of seed with most going on the ground,col:t:

Hi Tim i have been having up to 40+ birds coming in i had 7 last year ,they are going through lots of seed with most going on the ground,col:t:

Same here - had up to 24 in second half of Feb but since March started no more than 4 together...maybe they have moved 'up your way'...

Hi.
What are the access rights up at Gailey? British Waterways, now Canal & River Trust own the pools as they are feeder pools and on the upper pool a fishing club has fishing rights and the lower pool has a sailing club but what access is there for the likes of us birders? Is it a public right of way to walk around or birders are just allowed to wonder on? Was wondering about this the other day when looking for the WF Geese and there was a bunch of kids on the sailing club. I know a couple of birders including myself have been challenged at Whitemoor Haye parking on the road and looking over the lake, the outdoor centre staff have approached us. I cannot print my response:-O

Hi.
What are the access rights up at Gailey? British Waterways, now Canal & River Trust own the pools as they are feeder pools and on the upper pool a fishing club has fishing rights and the lower pool has a sailing club but what access is there for the likes of us birders? Is it a public right of way to walk around or birders are just allowed to wonder on? Was wondering about this the other day when looking for the WF Geese and there was a bunch of kids on the sailing club. I know a couple of birders including myself have been challenged at Whitemoor Haye parking on the road and looking over the lake, the outdoor centre staff have approached us. I cannot print my response:-O

I don't know officially but in all the years I've never been asked for a permit except by a grumpy fisherman about 10 years ago who I just ignored! School kids are often at the sailing club, esp during the week, as they run water sport activities for schools (mainly from Wolvo). I just park off the road by the sailing club and walk thru or climb over the gate. Have been challenged numerous times when exercising my 'right to roam' around the nearby woods and fields - but even they have got bored of confronting me and The Snapper...they prefer now to ask US if we have seen anyone acting suspiciously...:t:

I don't know officially but in all the years I've never been asked for a permit except by a grumpy fisherman about 10 years ago who I just ignored! School kids are often at the sailing club, esp during the week, as they run water sport activities for schools (mainly from Wolvo). I just park off the road by the sailing club and walk thru or climb over the gate. Have been challenged numerous times when exercising my 'right to roam' around the nearby woods and fields - but even they have got bored of confronting me and The Snapper...they prefer now to ask US if we have seen anyone acting suspiciously...:t:

My first Belvide permit purchased in 1986 had access to Gailey written on it as well. It was a joint permit for both sites.

As the Moorehen has pointed out, nobody ever checks at Gailey.

The sailing club people barely acknowledge you and the current fishermen are a pretty friendly bunch and can be quite useful for local bird gen.

If you have a WMBC Belvide permit on you then you are always covered at Gailey too.

Most important is not to block either carpark and to keep well off the lane with the farm vehicles regularly passing.

A couple of the locals (including the guy who owns the large house on the A5 near the old chimney house & also the guy who owns the last house down the )are very friendly and show an interest in whats around.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back