• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Just to start another topic off. Does anyone know of a good spot in North Staffs for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker?

Richard[/QUOTE]

hi richard
A little bit closer for your lesser try trentham gardens walk around the lake in a clockwise direction and keep a very keen eye on the large trees uppermost branches you have to be slow and methodical i got a pair this time last year but i wouldnt go at weekends try when its a bit overcast if you do see them have a ice cream to celabrate
Ray

Biddulph Moor Sat 28/04/06

Biddulph Moor Sat 28/04/07

08.30 Windy & Sunny

Kestrel, Curlew, Lapwing, Swallows, Meadow Pipit & Skylark
A hare was lying low in the Top Rd fields.

Attachments

• Biddulph Valley 280407 (Small).jpg
    Biddulph Valley 280407 (Small).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Hare Biddulph Moor 280407 (Small).JPG
    Hare Biddulph Moor 280407 (Small).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 106
been and had a look around croxton quarry from the viewing point by the roundabout at freehay not much about at all not much water either,

Hello Ray. Thanks for the tip about Trentham Gardens for LSW. I'll give it a try sometime, but I don't need an excuse for ice cream!

I had a look round Croxden Quarry on the evening of the 3rd. No sign of Peregrine, but the pair of Ruddy Shelduck were there.

On the way home from work yesterday, I had a look round the bridge over the River Dane at Wincle. Here there was an adult Dipper along with 2 recently fledged young. Then a quick look at the top end of Tittesworth, there was a LRP, 2 Curlew and a couple of Swifts.

Then this morning I paid my first visit to Dimmingsdale. It certainly is an excellent spot for Pied Flycatcher. I must have heard at least eight singing, and good views of a couple. I also had a good view of a Wood Warbler in the western end of Dimmingsdale Wood. No sign of Redstart or Dipper though.

Richard

the pied flycatchers are nesting already in dimmingsdale,also one redstart not yet heard a wood or garden warbler there.

anyone seen any pied flycatchers or redstarts with rings on?having a walk around dimmingsdale to see whats about this afternoon

Hello Terry. I didn't notice any rings on Pied Flys at Dimmingsdale yesterday. However at Coombes Valley today, there is a male Pied Flycatcher seen from the hide with a ring on his leg.

Also Redstart seen from the hide, and a good selection of warblers around including Garden Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat.

Richard

a friend of mine from kingsley rings the pieds at dimmingsdale and coombes,plenty singing males around dimmingsdale saw my first garden warbler of the season today but not yet heard any wood warblers but so many people about today down there.

havent heard a cuckoo for ages terry
saw pied flycatcher at dimmingsdale monday night
had a walk round croxden tonight saw amongst others tawny owl
garden warbler mistlethrush on nest.

Went to Dimminsdale on Wed, stood on the little bridge near the Ramblers and saw Great spotted woody, Pied flycatcher, Blackcap, Tree creeper, Moorhen, Mallard, Grey wagtail, Chaffinch, Great tit, blue tit and a Robin all in half an hour.

Talking about Cuckoo's not heard one for years untill last week but that was in Scotland even managed a photo of one

That's a pretty good haul in half an hour, Jim! Which bridge was that, the one across the road from the Ramblers over the Churnet or the one over the little brook in Dimmings Dale? I've never seen a pied flycatcher so that would seem a good place to go! I think there may also be some on Cannock Chase too although, as I say, I've yet to break my duck! :C

Mike

That's a pretty good haul in half an hour, Jim! Which bridge was that, the one across the road from the Ramblers over the Churnet or the one over the little brook in Dimmings Dale? I've never seen a pied flycatcher so that would seem a good place to go! I think there may also be some on Cannock Chase too although, as I say, I've yet to break my duck! :C

Mike

Hi Mike,
It's the bridge across the road with the Ramblers behind you. If you want to guarantee Pied Flycatchers go to Coombes Valley, there is one nesting 20ft from the hide. If you fancy a trip there and/or the Ramblers send me a PM perhaps we can sort something out. Here's a couple of pics I took today at Coombes.

Last edited:
Jim and Terry thanks for the info and I hope I'll get to see my first pied fly in the near future |:d| Jim I'll bear your offer in mind re visiting Coombes and by the way I like the pics!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back