• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Madeira without Car? (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all, am thinking about going to Madeira at some point in the next few months to try and pick up Madeira Firecrest and Trocaz Pigeon. I was just wondering how possible it is to bird the island without a car (I cannot drive)? Are there any local bird guides on the island I could make use of?

Hi all, am thinking about going to Madeira at some point in the next few months to try and pick up Madeira Firecrest and Trocaz Pigeon. I was just wondering how possible it is to bird the island without a car (I cannot drive)? Are there any local bird guides on the island I could make use of?
As far as endemic/near endemics are concerned most can be seen in Funchal and nearby via public transport (inc. cable car). I had Canary & Plain Swift without difficulty in the centre of Funchal (plus Cory's Shearwater offshore). I'd also recommend taking a boat from Funchal to the Desertas (I had Cory's Shearwater, Bulwer's Petrel and Zino/Desertas-type Petrel). I had Madeira Firecrest in the gardens accessed by the cable car plus a Trocaz Pigeon en route (although Blandy's Garden for them). Berthelot's Pipit might be tricker but if you can get a bus/coach Ponta de São Lourenço then they're easy to see around the car park.

When I went I didn't hire a car and was able to get into the laurel forests by bus and see Trocaz Pigeon. The firecrest isn't that difficult in the gardens around Funchal.

Hugo Romano does boat trips for seabirds (Madeira Wind Birds), I don't know if he does other guiding.

Yes, it is a bit long winded, no pun intended, too lazy to correct it but I will. I think 80 euros per day is fine as it includes transport costs. Cheers

Sea Birdwatching is possible from terrace of hotel Euro Porto Moniz.
I was also in Cottage Ocean View by AnaLodges. There are many birds around and a levada nearby.
For this area you can use taxi.

Taxi you need in every case, because levada hike is excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back