• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near Oslo? (1 Viewer)

gmkirk130

United States
My family and I will be going to Sweden this summer but plan to spend a few days in Oslo. Are there any particularly good areas for birding in or around Oslo?

Thank you in advance,
Gary

hello all, rekindling this thread. Have the same intent as the OP, but a year later. Plan to go for a Scandinavian tour with the kids. Would love to cover some nature and birding with the family especially areas near the capital cities which driving can reached.

I've checked out Katastrofa's suggestion (thank you!) Fornbu seems to be pretty near Oslo city, similar to Østensjøvannet lake? If I have half a day to spend, which would you suggest? I'm mainly a raptor/birds of prey person but the kids love water and colour birds :)

You won't find many raptors very close to Oslo (well one can always get lucky). Oslo area has decent public transport, so you may not even have to drive. In particular Fornebu and Østensjøvannet are simply Oslo. I don't recommend driving to the latter because you can easily get stuck in traffic and parking may be difficult to find. Fornebu is easier for parking. It also has a nice cafe with a play area for children (Seeds Cafe).

For straight out birding Maridalen is usually most promising, and you have a chance of seeing an osprey or a buzzard. But no seabirds except gulls. I've seen common eiders at Fornebu.

Thanks Katastrofa! This is going to my itinerary now at Maridalen. Is there an observatory post in this area? Google map points me to the middle of the forest :)

No observatory post. Just walk around the lake (northern end). The bridge over the stream going into the lake is a good observation point, FWIW, but you just need to walk around.

In Norway it's legal to walk over private land (woods, fields) as long as you don't damage the crops, annoy farm animals, walk across fenced areas near houses (gardens, courtyards, etc) or invade people's privacy. And dogs need to be kept on a leash from 1 April to 20 August.

Hi all, we are planning a trip to Oslo in March 2024. Is mid-March a suitable timing/weather for bird watching in the area below, thanks.

- Oslo Botanical Garden (Suburban birdwatching)
- Maridalsvannet (Suburban birdwatching)
- Østensjøvannet Lake (Suburban birdwatching)
- Hovedøya &/OR Lindøya (Shore birds)

I'm now in Norway, just reached Alesund. For the past few days, I have spent time in a few fjords. Are there any birds to look out in these areas? I have seen a lot of gulls though. And pica pica and hooded crows can be found mainland. Any locals tips will be great! Starting to love this icy and mountainous country!

Hi all, we are planning a trip to Oslo in March 2024. Is mid-March a suitable timing/weather for bird watching in the area below, thanks.

- Oslo Botanical Garden (Suburban birdwatching)
- Maridalsvannet (Suburban birdwatching)
- Østensjøvannet Lake (Suburban birdwatching)
- Hovedøya &/OR Lindøya (Shore birds)
Bit early for most migrants so number of species will be limited. Check out this blog to get an idea of what can be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back