• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on Isola di Ventotene in June (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
I've been lucky to be invited to spend a few days on the island of Ventotene this coming weekend! I know that the island is one of the hotspots of the Mediterranean when it comes to passerine migration, but I know that we'll be in full summer now and migration will be largely over. Online guides don't mention much about birding outside of the migration seasons, but I wondered if anyone here on BirdForum might know about any exciting resident/breeding species or specific sites on the island that could be worth a visit! Thanks very much all:)

The ebird hotspot for the island has 'insufficient data' for the whole of the summer, but the birds present in large numbers to the end of May should still be around now:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L3291285/media?yr=all&m=

Looks good for Quail, Turtle Dove, Purple Heron, Yellow-legged Gull, Hoopoe, Bee-eater, Roller, Golden Oriole, Woodchat Shrike, Short-toed Lark, Icterine Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Italian Sparrow, Yellow Wagtail ssp., Tawny Pipit, Serin and a few others that are also found in the UK.

ebird Hotspots also has a few specific locations on the island.

I've been lucky to be invited to spend a few days on the island of Ventotene this coming weekend! I know that the island is one of the hotspots of the Mediterranean when it comes to passerine migration, but I know that we'll be in full summer now and migration will be largely over. Online guides don't mention much about birding outside of the migration seasons, but I wondered if anyone here on BirdForum might know about any exciting resident/breeding species or specific sites on the island that could be worth a visit! Thanks very much all:)
Lucky you! I reckon a visit to the Museo della Migrazione e Osservatorio Ornitologico is planned...?

The ebird hotspot for the island has 'insufficient data' for the whole of the summer, but the birds present in large numbers to the end of May should still be around now:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L3291285/media?yr=all&m=

Looks good for Quail, Turtle Dove, Purple Heron, Yellow-legged Gull, Hoopoe, Bee-eater, Roller, Golden Oriole, Woodchat Shrike, Short-toed Lark, Icterine Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Italian Sparrow, Yellow Wagtail ssp., Tawny Pipit, Serin and a few others that are also found in the UK.

ebird Hotspots also has a few specific locations on the island.
Thanks so much for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back