• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of East Africa (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
In a normal year, I wouldn't make this post.

All of us birders who are lucky enough to visit East Africa will have benefitted from the book 'Birds of East Africa' aka Stevenson and Fanshawe. As you will know, one of the main illustrators is Brian Small who frequently shares his astonishing expertise in reply to questions here on BirdForum and has been helpful to me personally. As someone who can barely paint a square, I have always been astonished that someone with such talent would answer the queries of an ignoramus like me.

I'm really delighted that the new 2nd edition, much delayed, is finally now out and available. And I'm really delighted that the writers and illustrators are given the same billing, in that their names are all in the same size font in the same place. The other illustrator is John Gale. So, maybe we can now refer to this guide as SFGS? Or here on this forum to honour our contributor SFGSmall?

Anyway, since travel is very restricted, I'm guessing that they will sell fewer on initial publication than they hoped. But may I encourage everyone to do as I have and buy a copy anyway, as a kind of candle if you like to express the prayer and hope that we will all be able to visit this beautiful and welcoming area again in a not-very-distant future?

I just received my copy today! It is one of those purchases that can keep you dreaming until actual travel can restart.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back