• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds re visiting garden (1 Viewer)

petecockney

Hi
Since June I have had no birds feeding at my garden, however in the past five days I have had up to 9 goldfinches, 6 blue tits, pair of great tits and a large number of starlings.
I am chuffed to bits because I really thought that there was a general decline in bird life in my area due to many birds of prey.

Although I hardly get variety in my garden (only Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves and Starlings...and an occasional Robin) there are periods where the Starlings don't come for a few weeks, but then spend a couple of weeks here every day. Same in the bushy area behind our garden you see Tits and Blackbirds there every now and then but not every day.

I live in the heart of the Black Country, surrounded by industry, the M6 motorway, houses and yet more factories and houses. My garden is small, but backs onto a church.

So far this year I've recorded Oystercatcher (flying over), Buzzard, Redwings, Fieldfares, Grey Herons (flying over) and all the common stuff, - plus a Sedge Warbler!

The only thing I have a problem with is cats, and they do seem to have driven down the number of birds visiting my garden of late.

You could try niger seed, that is sure to attract goldfinch and greenfinch.

I think our garden is so small and enclosed that the smaller birds don't like it...especially as a few neighbours have cats too! It's bad enough with the pigeons being scared into flying into the windows!

You might want to go over to the Garden Birds, Bird Feeding and Nestboxes forum.

The "Very busy at the bird feeder" thread gets some interesting posts about garden sightings etc. from a group of really nice people.

Jeff

If you have a tiny garden, remember that it forms a small part of a much bigger habitat from the birds' point of view. A few days or even weeks of not much activity in your garden probably isn't significant in the bigger picture, it just means that they are somewhere else nearby. And it's got NOTHING to do with birds of prey.

Mike

If you have a tiny garden, remember that it forms a small part of a much bigger habitat from the birds' point of view. A few days or even weeks of not much activity in your garden probably isn't significant in the bigger picture, it just means that they are somewhere else nearby. And it's got NOTHING to do with birds of prey.

Mike

Couldn't agree more, Mike, especially your last sentence.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back