• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse, Osprey, Ring Ouzel, Wood Warbler in North Yorks/Northumberland? (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hello all,

I'm visiting North Yorkshire/Northumberland over the late May bank holiday and would really love to track down Black Grouse, Osprey and Ring Ouzel, none of which I've ever succeeded in seeing in the region. I wondered if anyone had any up-to-date tips for good spots?

I've read that Osprey bred in the Kielder Forest a few years ago and it sounds like viewing was set up - anyone know if they've come back?

I have no idea where to look for Black Grouse or Ring Ouzel at all!

I'm kind of assuming that Wood Warbler is now basically impossible across the region, but if anyone knows otherwise that would be wonderful. A species yet to make it onto my British list.

Any tips hugely appreciated!

There is “pressure” on those four species,
I’d be very surprised if anyone offered sites.😮
Over the years I’ve found all the species mentioned and my joy has been in the “finding”,
recommend you do the same.👍

There is “pressure” on those four species,
I’d be very surprised if anyone offered sites.😮
Over the years I’ve found all the species mentioned and my joy has been in the “finding”,
recommend you do the same.👍
Fair enough! If disturbance is a big issue in the area, I'm happy to just leave them be, maybe hope to encounter the latter three on migration.

Arkengarthdale is very much in the public domain for Black Grouse. It should be very easy to Google the name of the farm you need. They are viewable distantly (but still decent views) from a public road overlooking the farm where they frequent. They are often tricky to connect with so patience may be required. The fields adjacent to the farm are your best bet and also the moor to the left of the farm viewed distantly can also be productive. You can often spend ages looking with no success and then the birds seem to appear from.nowhere giving decent views.

Good luck and let us know what happens if you visit.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back