• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird nest problem (2 Viewers)

jdcockayne

United Kingdom
Sad day! We had a blackbird bulld a next in the guttering under an overhang on the empty house next door. Eggs must have just about ready to hatch but after the rain kasf night she has abandoned the nest. I'm feeling pretty upset about it.

Hi JD and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That doesn't sound like the place a Blackbird would nest, more likely a Starling I think? Are you sure the nest has been abandoned, I'd think rain should not be an issue for them? It just seems strange if that was the cause.

As you say, very sad, but maybe they'll try again, if I'm right and they are Starlings, they usually have a couple of broods, if not three if the weather is right.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi JD and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That doesn't sound like the place a Blackbird would nest, more likely a Starling I think? Are you sure the nest has been abandoned, I'd think rain should not be an issue for them? It just seems strange if that was the cause.

As you say, very sad, but maybe they'll try again, if I'm right and they are Starlings, they usually have a couple of broods, if not three if the weather is right.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Most definitely a blackbird, she made the nest from the liner in the hanging basket outside our door, we are experienced garden birders, have seen the male and female grow from last years broods, pair up and mate. He would sit on the fence near her at the end of the day warning others to stay away. He called her off the nest to feed during the day, and she would call us to feed her sultanas every morning when she saw us.

Attachments

• 16833884232795887115852702747687.jpg
    16833884232795887115852702747687.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 16833885018244990597344916422059.jpg
    16833885018244990597344916422059.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back