• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackburnian Warbler ? Yucatan, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Thank you, I asked about sex and age because I found it surprising that an adult female could be present in Yucatan already in (late) august.

Thank you, I asked about sex and age because I found it surprising that an adult female could be present in Yucatan already in (late) august.
Unless I'm totally making it up, my understanding is that the older birds leave first, and the HY birds normally stick around the breeding grounds longer.

Unless I'm totally making it up, my understanding is that the older birds leave first, and the HY birds normally stick around the breeding grounds longer.
As a general rule this is not the case in songbirds, young leave first - usually males before females, then adults. This is due to the adults doing a complete moult post-breeding which takes ~1 month, setting them back a couple weeks behind the hatch-years.

Thank you all for your replies and these very interesting details !
It seems that this individual was among the first to reach eastern Yucatan.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back