• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

JUst a quick note to say that 'my' flock of Blackcaps has now grown to at least 5 - 3 males and 2 females.

Which is obviously great, but just a couple of grounds for concern...

1. Despite my best efforts to tempt them with all sorts of Blackcap-friendly goodies, they persist in just eating my Cordyline flowers.

2. This is bad enough, but made worse by the fact that they have succeeded in teaching other birds that these are good to eat. The resident Robin started in on them last week, and now the Starlings have discovered them too.

The flowers are already looking a bit sparse, and I'm concerned that when they're finished the Blackcaps will move on too.

Oh dear, oh dear - tense times in Surrey!! ;)

Give the hanging apples a try, Ruby. You can 'skewer' them with some wire and hang them on a branch... put half a dozen or so out close to cover, as Michael said earlier, get them started by breaking a bit of the skin of the apple.

No problem, Ruby, just plant an avenue of Cordylines!

Hi Adey - now there's a thought...... only snag is, the ones that they're eating now were sown back in 1987, so they take a while to become eaters!! ;)

Give the hanging apples a try, Ruby. You can 'skewer' them with some wire and hang them on a branch... put half a dozen or so out close to cover, as Michael said earlier, get them started by breaking a bit of the skin of the apple.

That sounds like a plan Andy. Following earlier advice, I did hang one out down amongst the shrubs. I might take matters a bit further and hang a couple up IN the Cordyline. Might feed the Starlings if nothing else....

Rgds... Ruby

Phew! The pressure's off...

I've moved my hanging apples around a bit and the new positions are obviously more to the birds' liking. The Blue Tits seem to like eating them just as much as the Blackcaps....

I have just seen the first sighting in my garden of a blackcap for this winter. A female. No doubt the others will follow on, if last winter is anything to go by.

I've recently moved to a house with a postage stamp for a garden, so I'm real jealous!!
Never mind, I'll get over it

Helen: your avatar, is it cropped to that composition, or is that the whole shot?
i really like it!

Simon

It has been cropped. Unfortunately that's all I could get at the time, as I kept having to jump into the middle of the road to try and get a pic. The drivers didn't appreciate it! This kite was one of about 7 or 8 flying around at the time.

helenol said:
It has been cropped. Unfortunately that's all I could get at the time, as I kept having to jump into the middle of the road to try and get a pic. The drivers didn't appreciate it! This kite was one of about 7 or 8 flying around at the time.

It's a candidate for Photoshop's Lens flare filter in the top right corner isn't it?! ;)

Simon

yes, yes, yes, I know! I have just bought PS Elements a few weeks ago, so am still finding my way around it. Just wait until I can use it like a pro!!

Anyway, I prefer the "natural looking photo" ;)
(well, that's my excuse)

helenol said:
yes, yes, yes, I know! I have just bought PS Elements a few weeks ago, so am still finding my way around it. Just wait until I can use it like a pro!!

Anyway, I prefer the "natural looking photo" ;)
(well, that's my excuse)

You mis-understand i think? the filter I'm talking about would add the flare (you know, like you always used to see in the old western films ;) ) I think it would look good (I'm always trying to get it naturally - shooting into the sun - small aperture - but it never works out!)
It is a very good photo, & if i can get anything like it when I go out that way, I'll be more than happy!!

Simon

Yeah , I was at my Dad's on Sunday ( 7th Dec. ) and I was watching two ( 1M & 1F ) Blackcap flitting around a holly bush in his garden ... brilliant sight , plus , we have a Chiffchaff @ my local patch which seems to be staying for the winter ... excellent !

.... And just to continue , I was at my sister-in-laws yesterday and a male Blackcap was busy flitting around the hedge surrounding her garden amongst a small group of House Sparrows .

Yes I agree with you totally Helen , I dont think I saw this many Blackcaps in one week in summer !!!! But seeing the Chiffchaff at Venus Pool most days is great ... reminds me of summer ! .

Interesting thread Ruby.
I hadn't realised that the wintering blackcaps come from Southern, as opposed to Northern, Europe.

I too was amazed to see one eating an apple on our tree. I like to leave the apples up for the blackbirds but was fascinated to see this insect-eater pecking away. It was a female.

Regards,

Padraig. :flowers:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back