• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Frog ID please (1 Viewer)

ukswanman

Barrie Mortimer
Can anyone tell me anything about this frog I saw in my hedge on the south coast of France, near Perpignan? The hedge is a mixture of mainly privet and grape vine gone daft. There were no blue flowers anywhere near. The frog was one and a quarter inches from nose to tail and the colour is an accurate rendition of its appearance, honestly. I did see a similar brown frog a few days later on our veranda. When I moved it into the hedge, its colour seemed to change to a greenish brown as I watched it. Can frogs change colour so dramatically? The call was more like a Mallard quack than a croak. Am I going mad? :frog:

Attachments

• 04.09.03.BlueFrogFrance.jpg
    04.09.03.BlueFrogFrance.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 227
It is a frog of the Genus Hyla ; they can change colour to a certain extent, and this blue is in the range of colours they can show (seen that before), so what you witnessed is not that unusual.

There would be 2 possible species in that area I think: Hyla arborea and Hyla meridionalis. It´s quite some time since I did determination of those species, so I have some difficulty to remember the differences. i think one difference was that the dark stripe over the eye is less pronounced and less complete in H. meridionalis, so this would be H. arborea-but I am not sure, you should consult some literature.
Hope that helps,
Jörn

I have seen full sized blue bullfrogs in Ohio The explaination I recieved was that they lack yellow pigment.I do know from a career in printing that blue and yellow dots are used to create green.If the yellow printer on a press goes out you end up with blue grass.Made sense to me.
Sam

A lack of yellow pigment in this individual , as Sam proposes , would be another possibility-especially if that one did not change colour to brown or green?

Such mutations also can occur in Hyla frogs

It never changed colour for about 5 minutes, when it hopped out of sight in the hedge. I saw a brown one change to green (my wife swears it was turning blue) while I observed it after moving it from a wooden veranda to greenery in the hedge, but the blue one showed no sign of turning green while on a green leaf.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back