• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BLUE WINGED TEAL Ringed (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
I got a couple of digiscoped shots of the Blue Winged Teal at St Mary's Island Northumberland only part of the metal ring visible but there is a clear
'T' any thoughts as to the type of ring etc. both cropped and uncropped shown

Attachments

• DSCN5305.JPG
    DSCN5305.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN53051.JPG
    DSCN53051.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 266
Brian Bullough said:
I got a couple of digiscoped shots of the Blue Winged Teal at St Mary's Island Northumberland only part of the metal ring visible but there is a clear
'T' any thoughts as to the type of ring etc. both cropped and uncropped shown

It may be a '1', rather than a 'T'. This ring looks like its from a ringing scheme, rather than from a collection, which very rarley use numbers on rings (they're usually just coloured plastic type rings). Also, the numbers are inscribed at the bottom of the ring which would allow room for an address, rather like BTO rings we use here (although I'm not suggesting it has been ringed in the UK). Hopefully someone will obtain the photos to get more from this. Fantastic effort Brian.

Fair Islander said:
It may be a '1', rather than a 'T'. This ring looks like its from a ringing scheme, rather than from a collection, which very rarley use numbers on rings (they're usually just coloured plastic type rings). Also, the numbers are inscribed at the bottom of the ring which would allow room for an address, rather like BTO rings we use here (although I'm not suggesting it has been ringed in the UK). Hopefully someone will obtain the photos to get more from this. Fantastic effort Brian.

I think the records commitee will take a dim view of this bird unless the ring is read and its origin found. I don't mean to be a party pooper.

Fair Islander said:

Clearly a 7 Mr Baxter, is it still dark up there ?

Who cares what the rarity committee says it is up to the individual birder whether to tick it or not for there list.Nothing to do with the rarity committee telling birders what they can or cannot tick.

Last edited:
rokermartin said:
Who cares what the rarity committee says it is up to the individual birder whether to tick it or not for there list.Nothing to do with the rarity committee telling birders what they can or cannot tick.

potentially a very controversial statement...

... I'd love to know what sort of things reside on your list ;) :bounce: :t:

Fair Islander said:
No, we've had a whole hour of day light today! (P.s. I still think it's a 1) !

Actually you could be right it looks like a 1 on my laptop although the base is not visible and I think there is 8 and possibly 2 after but more a guess than fact the original is clearer than that posted,no chance today to try and get anything better due to dull weather.
Brian

Saw the ring today through Cuddys swaro scope at 60x. To me it looks very much like a 7 with some smaller writing above. It just wont come close enough to have a good look at it as it is very wary of people.Opps just seen my spelling mistake..lol(21/4/)

Last edited:
LSB said:
It just wont come close enough to have a good look at it as it is very weary of people.

Does that mean it's tired of being looked at? ;)

It was coming very close yesterday morning although not out of the water unfortunately. Didn't seem too bothered by birders then (and another birder who arrived before I did had had it even closer - just in front of the screen hide).

It has been suggested by a very knowledgable ringer that birders misunderstand the frequency with which WWT metal ring their captive birds (and that the absence of colour rings indicates a wild origin). But, what the hell, why don't we all follow the suggestion that you can choose what you do, and don't, tick? It must be soooooo tempting when you live close to WWT Washington :cool:

martin

Last edited:
martin kitching said:
But, what the hell, why don't we all follow the suggestion that you can choose what you do, and don't, tick?
martin

Yep, I've just ticked everything I can see in the BF gallery - that's me done for the year, and think of all the CO2 emmissions I've saved. :smoke:

Adrian

Although realistically the Tyneside bird has to be the same as the Filey bird, it would have had to have changed its behaviour drastically. At Filey it was incredibly elusive, rarely coming out of the reeds for more than 5 seconds, as opposed to it's behaviour now, continually showing at decent range. Doubt it's possible to compare plumage, but it seems to me on behaviour to be a totally different bird....

martin kitching said:
Does that mean it's tired of being looked at? ;)

It was coming very close yesterday morning although not out of the water unfortunately. Didn't seem too bothered by birders then (and another birder who arrived before I did had had it even closer - just in front of the screen hide).

It has been suggested by a very knowledgable ringer that birders misunderstand the frequency with which WWT metal ring their captive birds (and that the absence of colour rings indicates a wild origin). But, what the hell, why don't we all follow the suggestion that you can choose what you do, and don't, tick? It must be soooooo tempting when you live close to WWT Washington :cool:

martin

It still got you down to see it thou didnt it.......................(insurance tick I bet)... 3:)

martin kitching said:
...It has been suggested by a very knowledgable ringer that birders misunderstand the frequency with which WWT metal ring their captive birds (and that the absence of colour rings indicates a wild origin). But, what the hell, why don't we all follow the suggestion that you can choose what you do, and don't, tick? It must be soooooo tempting when you live close to WWT Washington :cool: martin

On the face of it, being close to a WWT reserve does put a dampner on things. BUT... all captive birds at WWT Washington are pinioned (they can't fly). At Barmston Pond, half a mile from WWWT, I've not seen a single escapee in the last few years, even though they could actually tunnel under the fence and walk there if they wanted.

I wonder what the reaction would be if it was a rarer species? A ringed Bufflehead would be disregarded very quickly (unless it was on the Hebs!). I personally think there's a good chance of it being genuine yank, but it'll probably end up being a record never fully resolved or agreed upon - unless the photographers do us proud over the weekend.

rokermartin said:

... the BBRC don't begin to deem what people should or shouldn't tick, give them a break!

by the way, some collection birds do indeed show metal numbered rings at least in my local collections ... though not commonly

whitburnmark said:
On the face of it, being close to a WWT reserve does put a dampner on things.

If this is indeed the same bird as the one at Filey, it seems very unlikely to me that it will be from Washington. It appears to be heading north, with Eurasian Teal. Even if it is an escape - its behaviour and previous location would presumably rule out the local cage!

I must add a drake Blue-winged Teal has been found in Austria within the last week, and there was also a female-type in France - perhaps a small, genuine influx..

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back