• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bongofury's 5 Miles From Home List 2022 (1 Viewer)

bongofury

After reaching my highest ever yearlist in 2021 of 182, I'm getting on board with #LocalBigYear in 2022. So my yearlist will be birds heard or seen within 5 miles of home. I suspect that means I'll be at Baron's Haugh a lot, which might get boring, so we'll see how it goes.

Garden

1. Blue Tit
2. Coal Tit
3. Great Tit
4. Magpie
5. Carrion Crow
6. Starling
7. Robin
8. Siskin
9. Goldfinch
10. Lesser Redpoll
11. Woodpigeon
12. Feral Pigeon
13. Treecreeper
14. Herring Gull
15. Rook
16. Long-tailed Tit

Hamilton Retail Park

17. Dunnock
18. Blackbird

Avon Water

19. Mallard

Garden

20. Bullfinch

East Kilbride Expressway

21. Buzzard

Stewartfield Loch

22. Greylag Goose

Strathclyde Loch

23. Goosander
24. Lesser Black-backed Gull
25. Common Gull
26. Mute Swan
27. Moorhen
28. Black-headed Gull
29. Mistle Thrush

Burnbank

30. Rook

Raith

31. Kestrel

Strathclyde Loch

32. Goldeneye
33. Tufted Duck
34. Cormorant
35. Ring-billed Gull
36. Pied Wagtail
37. Little Grebe
38. Canada Goose

Earnock

39. House Sparrow

Garden

40. Chaffinch

Baron's Haugh

41. Redwing
42. Greenfinch
43. Teal
44. Wigeon
45. Fieldfare
46. Song Thrush
47. Gadwall
48. Wren

Last edited:
After reaching my highest ever yearlist in 2021 of 182, I'm getting on board with #LocalBigYear in 2022. So my yearlist will be birds heard or seen within 5 miles of home. I suspect that means I'll be at Baron's Haugh a lot, which might get boring, so we'll see how it goes.

Garden

1. Blue Tit
2. Coal Tit
3. Great Tit
4. Magpie
5. Carrion Crow
6. Starling
7. Robin
8. Siskin
9. Goldfinch
10. Lesser Redpoll
11. Woodpigeon
12. Feral Pigeon
13. Treecreeper
14. Herring Gull
15. Rook
16. Long-tailed Tit

Hamilton Retail Park

17. Dunnock
18. Blackbird

Avon Water

19. Mallard

Garden

20. Bullfinch

East Kilbride Expressway

21. Buzzard

Stewartfield Loch

22. Greylag Goose

Strathclyde Loch

23. Goosander
24. Lesser Black-backed Gull
25. Common Gull
26. Mute Swan
27. Moorhen
28. Black-headed Gull
29. Mistle Thrush

Burnbank

30. Rook

Raith

31. Kestrel

Strathclyde Loch

32. Goldeneye
33. Tufted Duck
34. Cormorant
35. Ring-billed Gull
36. Pied Wagtail
37. Little Grebe
38. Canada Goose

Earnock

39. House Sparrow

Garden

40. Chaffinch

Baron's Haugh

41. Redwing
42. Greenfinch
43. Teal
44. Wigeon
45. Fieldfare
46. Song Thrush
47. Gadwall
48. Wren
I'm confused - is it 5km, 5 mile or 10km (think I've seen all 3?) or do you choose? Or are there more than one challenge going on in different places?

Some good birds in there btw ... (y)

I'm confused - is it 5km, 5 mile or 10km (think I've seen all 3?) or do you choose? Or are there more than one challenge going on in different places?

Some good birds in there btw ... (y)
Thanks! The distance is whatever you choose; there are no set rules, it's entirely up to you. I went for 5 miles as it covers Baron's Haugh, Cathkin Marsh and Merryton which should get me most common inland birds. Any further than 5 miles gets a bit too much in my opinion.

Thanks! The distance is whatever you choose; there are no set rules, it's entirely up to you. I went for 5 miles as it covers Baron's Haugh, Cathkin Marsh and Merryton which should get me most common inland birds. Any further than 5 miles gets a bit too much in my opinion.
Aha, that explains it, thought was losing it. I also just googled '#LocalBigYear rules' as per your #post1 and found the Birdguides article. Was going to do a 10km myself, but realise 5 mile (8km) would net me essentially the same key habitats (ie coast), maybe will do one but can always change.

I guess the challenge will be on! Do you have a rough target (% of your 182?) for the year?

Aha, that explains it, thought was losing it. I also just googled '#LocalBigYear rules' as per your #post1 and found the Birdguides article. Was going to do a 10km myself, but realise 5 mile (8km) would net me essentially the same key habitats (ie coast), maybe will do one but can always change.

I guess the challenge will be on! Do you have a rough target (% of your 182?) for the year?
It's the first year of trying so my only target is to get to 100. I don't have any coastline so it will be hard to get much above.

It's the first year of trying so my only target is to get to 100. I don't have any coastline so it will be hard to get much above.
Good luck with it, be interesting to see how it goes (and you have to get out there - you never know what could turn up!)

(And of course the challenge is with yourself, not others, although nice to know others are out there too.)

Do you know if Strathclyde Park is accessible by bus from Glasgow/Rutherglen? I'd like to see the ring-billed gull.

Do you know if Strathclyde Park is accessible by bus from Glasgow/Rutherglen? I'd like to see the ring-billed gull.

Bus 267 is coming up. Might be others too.

Oh cool, cheers. I'd looked online but many of the journeys were talking about 2 or 3 buses and I can't be annoyed with all that!

Have you been back to see the gull since you first saw it?

Been to Strathclyde CP quite a few times for the parkrun using the train to Airbles, the start is just past the water sports centre. Not been birdwatching there yet but if and when I do I'll use the same method. IIRC its about 15 or maybe 20 mins walking.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back