• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge camera with rapid autofocus and stabilization (1 Viewer)

I've recently bought myself a Fuji X-T4 with a 70-300mm lens (100-400mm equivalent at 35mm).
It's a lot lighter than the full frame cameras and the quality seems good. Autofocus fast, can do upto about 15 shots per second.
But a lot more than $1000 unfortunately.

Anyone else use Fuji here?
How is it working for you? Looking at a6400 vs X-E4 and related lenses...

I think the only bridge camera with sufficient fast autofocus for bird photography is the Sony RX10 IV, but I don't know the price in Canada. The Panasonic FZ1000 II or FZ2500 with DFD focus might also work for stationary birds.
Maybe a re-think on that nkbj...RE the Nikon P1000 all saved at 1920 mpi but that isn't compatible here as the result differs somewhat from my files.

Attachments

• The Butterfly 1.jpg
    The Butterfly 1.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Yellow Rumped Warbler  007  X140.JPG
    Yellow Rumped Warbler 007 X140.JPG
    997.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Dragonfly fin.jpg
    Dragonfly fin.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Blue Jay 0003  X210.JPG
    Blue Jay 0003 X210.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I think the only bridge camera with sufficient fast autofocus for bird photography is the Sony RX10 IV, but I don't know the price in Canada. The Panasonic FZ1000 II or FZ2500 with DFD focus might also work for stationary birds.
I have used the FZ1000 and now the FZ1000 II for BIF (birds in flight) quite successfully. Don't underestimate their speed of focusing ability, especially when using the eye focusing feature as well. Basically what that means is as soon as you look through the viewfinder the camera will carry out an initial focus on whatever you can see in the viewfinder.

Hi Stanga,

I have used the FZ1000 and now the FZ1000 II for BIF (birds in flight) quite successfully. Don't underestimate their speed of focusing ability, especially when using the eye focusing feature as well. Basically what that means is as soon as you look through the viewfinder the camera will carry out an initial focus on whatever you can see in the viewfinder.

Thanks for supporting my assessment!

My FZ1000 was actually every bit as good as (maybe even better than) my (somewhat older) Sony Alpha 700 DSLR with the Sigma 50 - 500 mm "Bigma" when it came to focussing speed.

So I feel obliged to reinforce that it's really not a case of "will work under good circumstances" ... it's "The FZ1000 will work for birds in flight", period.

Regards,

Henning

I just happen to have put some pics in a thread at Help in identifying a bird that I was lucky to take snaps of that were taken with a FZ1000. My only regret is that I didn't have the camera set to RAW at the time otherwise they might have been sharper. But absolutely no problem at catching the fast paced action.
The trick with the camera is to set it to a high shutter speed like 1/2000s and high burst mode. You'll rattle through a lot of shots, but you stand a high chance of bagging the shot of the month that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back