• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Butterfly Decline (1 Viewer)

I think the headline is very misleading though the report does kind of admit that. I saw more Peacocks here in the spring than for many years & there was a good emergence of the next brood in July. These latter butterflies usually disappear quite quickly & go into diapause earlier than many think having fed up, so I suspect when the count took place (something like a 3 week period?) many were already out of sight.

British Wildlife reported many species having a bumper year. Also the BB Count this year was restricted to a number of common, easily identified species. I would say migrant species such as Painted Lady have been few but these are due to factors beyond our shores &the numbers vary many fold from year to year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the alarmist headline.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back