• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget compact with 25mm lens (1 Viewer)

Woen

Netherlands
Hi!

Trying to help a friend in Canada to get a decent pair of compact binoculars. Preferably with 25mm lenses and a 8 or 10x magnification. as I find smaller to small and larger not really compact. But other suggestions are welcome. Max budget is 150 dollars ca. I've found te Celestron Nature DX 10x25 as an option but I really have no experience with budget compacts.

I've been going through older posts but I couldn't really find a good suggestion.

Any sugggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

I'd spend a bit more and try to find the Kowa BD 8x25 DCF. I tried it in a store once and it's excellent and at the time it was still "Made in Japan" not China. I hope that still is the case. At least the image says so.
But it seems to be a bit more expensive in the USA than in Europe. I also think it is discontinued since it is no longer listed on the Kowa homepage.
Edit: Oops, just saw you're in the Netherlands. In that case, "Intercon-Spacetec" has a good deal on the Kowa.

I have a pair of Hawke Endurance ED 8x25
I find them to be bright and comfortable
Don't know what the current price and availability is in Canada but they are available on amazon.co.uk for £135

I'd spend a bit more and try to find the Kowa BD 8x25 DCF. I tried it in a store once and it's excellent and at the time it was still "Made in Japan" not China. I hope that still is the case. At least the image says so.
But it seems to be a bit more expensive in the USA than in Europe. I also think it is discontinued since it is no longer listed on the Kowa homepage.
Edit: Oops, just saw you're in the Netherlands. In that case, "Intercon-Spacetec" has a good deal on the Kowa.
Looking to order in Canada! :)

8x25 Pentax AD WP and Nikon Sportstar EX look like two possible candidates at that price in Canada. Latter has a very wide field of view for a compact but very short eye relief. The former is the opposite (narrow FOV but decent eye relief) but also adds phase coating as a plus (is the more expensive here in the UK) :

Looking to order in Canada! :)
Have you looked at opticron binoculars?

Opticron 8x25 Oregon 4 LE WP Binoculars - $89

I tried the the Opticron 8x21 Explorer ($89) which I enjoyed. The housing had a bit of a cheap feel but for the price the optics were great. I personally enjoyed the view through the Nikon Micron 6x15 more -- the latter being incredibly sharp. But the latter you can't really hold a gaze long before wanting to pull away. With the Opticron explorer it was a bit better. Though eye fatigue or eye strain would develop with the tiny eyecups of the Explorers. The explorer's were also incredibly tiny in size! I haven't seen the premium compact binoculars in person but I suspect it would make the Curio 7x21 seem huge. (I could be very mistaken though.)

But is it really compact? I like the models but can you pocket it?

Hi,

depends on the pocket - shirt no, pants probably no - unless cargo, jacket yes. If you want shirt pocket, you need to go 8x20 (old Swaro, Leica or old Zeiss) - or those funny foldable reverse porros...

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back