• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7x26 v. Swarovski 8x25 v. Zeiss Terra 8x25 v. Vortex Viper 8x28 (3 Viewers)

Oh my - that Maven, only a 7 in resolution and the Terra a 10.

Well, no Maven for me, ever, as sharpness is number 1 in my books. A non-sharp bino is a complete non-starter. But, Dennis, if you are willing to accept a mushy view - or perhaps you just don't see it anymore - then more power to you. I guess my standards are just a little higher.

Cue hilariously non-sequitur rebuttal that lasts for days....lol.

Oh my - that Maven, only a 7 in resolution and the Terra a 10.

Well, no Maven for me, ever, as sharpness is number 1 in my books. A non-sharp bino is a complete non-starter. But, Dennis, if you are willing to accept a mushy view - or perhaps you just don't see it anymore - then more power to you. I guess my standards are just a little higher.

Cue hilariously non-sequitur rebuttal that lasts for days....lol.
If it's too dark to see that resolution it won't help you. No, the Zeiss Terra HD 8x25 must be a good compact. There is a guy on Cloudy Nights that wrote a review comparing it to the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and he liked the Terra better saying it was sharper and all the reviews on it are 5 star. I like the fact that it is made in Japan versus China like the bigger models of Terra's are. It appears to be an excellent value. It would be a little less bright than the bigger aperture Maven 8x30 under low light conditions but if your use was mainly daylight it would be a good little compact. Here is the review from Cloudy Night's.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...8x25-and-zeiss-terra-ed-pocket-8x25-a-review/

Last edited:
Whatever Dennis - this thread wasn't supposed to be about any Trac's or Maven's...read the thread title again.

And, why would you think anyone would buy a compact for low-light viewing anyway? Mine is for stuffing in a shirt-pocket or backpack when birding isn't a priority. The rest of the time, it will be close at hand for anything good that shows up in the yard.

Jerry, I'll post my thoughts in the dedicated 8X25 Terra thread so that it doesn't get polluted [there] by too much rah-rah and foolish boosterism.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back