• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying ATX in 2023 (1 Viewer)

raaabs

Norway
It's been what, 11 years? since it was released. Does it make sense to buy a brand new ATX now? Do you think they will release something new soon? I'd hate to splurge on equipment that is outdated just as soon..

How does an optically excellent scope - and the 65, 85 and 95mm ATX are excellent, provided you don't get a lemon - become outdated? If it's good, it's good. And newer products aren't always better than "old" ones.

BTW, my scopes are more than 20 years old. They can still compete against most scopes on the market except for the rather narrow zoom eyepieces.

Hermann

It's been what, 11 years? since it was released. Does it make sense to buy a brand new ATX now? Do you think they will release something new soon? I'd hate to splurge on equipment that is outdated just as soon..
Well, I bought ATX/BTX/115/ME1.7x combo along with tripod and pack earlier this year. These optics are a delight to use today and will perform similarly for many years. I can't enjoy a scope today that isn't available until tomorrow. This tells you I think it makes sense for me. There are also lots of other good spotting scope choices from Swarovski and other brands.

I have zero knowledge about Swarovski Optik product development or new product release plans. One can imagine the company considering where many cameras, including mobile phones, have progressed so rapidly in the past few years. Digital signal collection, aspheric optics, image reconstruction, stabilization, autofocus, and display refinements occur at breathtaking pace these days. While I appreciate the digital advances tremendously, I also savor analog instruments.

Whether it makes sense for a person depends on a variety of disparate factors as they combine for the individual decision.

For me the visual beauty of Nature today is enjoyed via my eyes, binocular, and spotting scope with each way slightly different in the enjoyment.

If you are nervous about spending the money or missing a big technology step forward that might come tomorrow, asking your question in various places and learning what you can about future product may help your decision and calm your nerves. Gently keep in mind that tomorrow commonly brings improved products and those improved products will yet be displaced again in time. This question of whether to go with today's technology or wait for the next-generation release happens so often from computers to cars to light bulbs and so on. It can be tough to decide when to buy. At least in your specific question you know the product qualities and expected longevity.

Swarovski dig go all tech recently with the dG, take pictures, use an app to do the ID. dG
I’ve never seen one, but I’ve seen plenty of ATX and ATS systems out there. Optical kit gets incrementally better, but never really obsolete. Electronic and software based stuff becomes obsolete far more rapidly. It you want to bird now then go and find the best you are willing to afford today. If you want to wait then put spare change in a tin, so you’ll have the money for what may come. The only time I’ve done the latter is for thermal monoculars where the cost/performance took some years to drop to where it is now, where good enough is cheap enough. There is always something no better/different…. Sometimes good enough is best.

Peter

ATX (Advanced Technology eXtended) is a standard for motherboards and computer cases that was first introduced in 1995. Since then, the ATX standard has undergone several revisions and updates. The most recent revision is ATX 12VO (12-volt only), which was introduced in 2020. <snip
"ATX" stands for something quite different in this forum, I'm afraid: Teleskope - SWAROVSKI OPTIK :cool:🙃:cool:

Hermann

Thanks for the extremely insightful replies guys. I will probably make the jump! And that Alex guy is definitely a bot lol. If not he’s just lost. Thanks again !!! I really appreciate it. Take care!

Would a real human being make that mistake? Is "alexbrook" a Chatbot?
Apparently so, and it's already been removed from the forum. Hadn't seen one quite like that before, hard to understand the motivation. Or did I miss seeing what it had to sell?

Thanks for the extremely insightful replies guys. I will probably make the jump! And that Alex guy is definitely a bot lol. If not he’s just lost. Thanks again !!! I really appreciate it. Take care!
With the ATX, there is a thinner eye cup/guard available from Swarovski if you find you need a little more eye relief. If you need one just give them a call and ask about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back