• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California (& Nevada) - August (2 Viewers)

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
I will be doing a short road-trip Las Vegas - San Francisco - Los Angeles in the second half of August. Any tips for good birding locations to visit on that vague route?

Any specific targets?

Thanks for the response. My main targets are Condor (I've already ear-marked Pinnacles NP), Roadrunner, Burrowing Owl & any Hummingbirds - but as I've only been birding in US once (a week in Florida), plus a couple of ski trips with incidental birding, a lot of western species will be new to me.

I've got a couple of days around Vegas, then four days to travel between each of the three cities and a couple of spare days around LA before leaving. So far I'm planning on visiting Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Californian coast & Salton Sea and have checked Ebird hotspots but I'll be happy to hear of any other not to be missed locations.

Thanks for the response. My main targets are Condor (I've already ear-marked Pinnacles NP), Roadrunner, Burrowing Owl & any Hummingbirds - but as I've only been birding in US once (a week in Florida), plus a couple of ski trips with incidental birding, a lot of western species will be new to me.

I've got a couple of days around Vegas, then four days to travel between each of the three cities and a couple of spare days around LA before leaving. So far I'm planning on visiting Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Californian coast & Salton Sea and have checked Ebird hotspots but I'll be happy to hear of any other not to be missed locations.
Fyi, pinnacles will be hot as hell in August. They are also seen on the coast at Big Sur, which is much more pleasant. Do some research on where the best spots are.

I've seen a burrowing owl in Berkeley, but that was in December. Dunno where they are in the summer. Good luck!

I did a winter trip last Jan with much more time than you have but can let you know where I saw stuff/how easy or not (eg thrashers and gnatcatchers and so forth). NB on Pinnacles. I couldn't get there as the road was full. It was a Sunday, fine weather, and I'd spent the morning birding a bit further NW. So maybe would have got up the road if earlier in the day but bear this possibility in mind - I ended up missing the Condor.

I did a winter trip last Jan with much more time than you have but can let you know where I saw stuff/how easy or not (eg thrashers and gnatcatchers and so forth). NB on Pinnacles. I couldn't get there as the road was full. It was a Sunday, fine weather, and I'd spent the morning birding a bit further NW. So maybe would have got up the road if earlier in the day but bear this possibility in mind - I ended up missing the Condor.

Hi Denis, thanks, I'd be grateful for any information you are able to share.

[I've just realised that my initial post may have been a little misleading on the timescale - I have 17 days in all: 3 days in the Vegas area; 4 days to travel from there to San Francisco; 4 days from there to LA & then 4 days before the flight back + 2 international travel days.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back