• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Campaign Against Isle Of Lewis Wind Farm (1 Viewer)

I have learned that the local politicians have voted for the windfarm on Lewis. This is an appalling decision and I will not be visiting the islands again in the future.

It is not good for the island, its habitat, wildlife or birds.

I think the local politicians, the owners of the land and developers just don't seem to care about wrecking a wonderful wilderness area. They certainly don't value or respect this wilderness or its wildlife.

It seems to me that money talks. I for one will not be contributing to the Island economy in the future. I also think that many other people will not wish to visit such a place with an ugly and noisy windfarm. My concern for the habitat, wildlife and birds here remains. What about protection for the birds.

Can the politicians decision be challenged in the Europeon court ?

It would be interesting to know how many objections were made in regard to the development.

Dean

Dean

Last edited:
Hi Dean,

I am sorry to hear such tragic news, sorry I don't know how else to put it. There is no comparison to Appleby which I mentioned above and I agree with you "money talks" every time.

I think if I remember rightly in the acknowledgement I got when I signed the petition we would all receive a copy of the final decision, that may give the total number of objections, if not we can always ask.

Ann :storm: :egghead:

Tranquility Base said:
Obscene......... Destroying one of the few wild places in Britain to provide energy for people hundreds of miles away. A Nuke PS or two on Gruinard (or Westminster!) would've been a 'greener' option!
Reminds me of 'Local Hero'

I have been talking this through with friends who live in Crais on Lewis. The councillors argument (Not one I espouse) is that the island needs to be economically viable if it is to survive. Currently the population is falling due to the economic migration of young adults away to the mainland to find well paying jobs (An old story in the highlands and islands). Birth rates are as a result falling, and while there are some incomers, they are not on the whole families with young children and do not make up for the population lost. Therefore, there needs to be provision of jobs locally to help encourgage local, people to stay on the island, raise families there etc and hence keep the whole thing going.
I dont have numbers to hand on the population drift unfortunately, so dont know how critical the issue is. In the '90's Lewis and Harris (actually one island) had a population of around 20000, with reasonably stable school entry figures, but even then there were concerns after the failure of a rig-refitting/fabrication plant.
A lot of the islanders themselves opposed the plans - mainly on the grounds of scale. A popular option, and one that I have some sympathy for, was to have a smaller windfarm to provide for the island's needs, rather than an export facility as has been approved.

PS: just remembered the discussions on this thread regarding peat damage that may be consequent to the wind farm, and the knock-on effects on the environment of this.

Last edited:
There is an article in March addition of Birdwatch about this issue.

The problem with this windfarm is that it will be sited in an SPA that is protected under European law.

The development will impact on a designated conservation sites that include the Lewis Peatlands Ramsar site. The first of these contains a large proportion of rare blanket bog and supports significant breeding populations of Red-throated and Black-throated Divers, Golden Plover, Greenshank and Dunlin. Golden Eagle and Merlin are common species here. Corncrakes and Whooper Swans pass through and breed nearby.

It is acknowledged that 46 Golden Eagles would be killed as a result of collissions and hundreds of Dunlin lost as a result of displacement.

An economic assessment has been commissioned by RSPB Scotland which has revealed serious flaws in claims that the local community would benefit economically, estimating that no more than 70 jobs-and not 233 as claimed will be created.

I have complained to local politicians about the recent decision and to the local authority. The politicians state the employment opportunities and need for the Island Community not to decline further.

Will this development actually happen? We will have to see. If it does go ahead then will this be breaking European law. Will the decision be challenged in Europe?

Lets wait and find out.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Yes-on the news last evening that Barvas Moor Lewis is to be refused by SE.

If this is true its a triumph for conservation & the many many people who fought for it.-not least the Crofters who were prepared to sue rather than be excluded from their traditional areas by the proposal.

Two more on Lewis yet though-Pairc & Eishgen.Its not over.

....but fantastic news!!

Colin

Here is a letter I received via email today about the issue. Lets hope they don't make a decision that could lead to many deaths of protected bird species. Surely if they made the wrong decision it would be illegal.

Dear Mr Powell

ELECTRICITY ACT 1989
SECTION 36 APPLICATION – LEWIS WIND FARM

Thank you for your email of 2 February 2008 addressed to the First Minister concerning the proposed Lewis wind farm. I have been asked to reply on behalf of the Scottish Government’s Energy Consents Unit.

We are aware of the strong feelings this application has provoked, and recognise the environmental challenges associated with this proposal, both in terms of the Lewis peatlands and the protected bird species. However, given Scottish Ministers role in determining this case, it would be inappropriate for me to comment specifically on this application while it is currently under consideration.

Please be assured that your representation has been recorded, and the final decision will only be taken after careful and thorough consideration of all material issues, in accordance with the relevant legislative and planning obligations.

Yours sincerely

Paul Smith
Consents Officer
The Scottish Government

Energy Consents Branch
Meridian Court
5 Cadogan Street
Glasgow G2 6AT

Tel: (0141) 242 5796 Fax: (0141) 242 5807
Web: www.scotland.gov.uk/enterprise/energy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back