• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Campaign Against Isle Of Lewis Wind Farm (1 Viewer)

SueBryan said:
Now 64 ! How could they destroy such a wonderful environment for the birds? I have enjoyed every moment I have spent there. The birds make it such a special place! Keep up the good work David!
Sue

Hi Sue,

I agree with you it is a special place and they should leave it alone.

Its great that we know the number of objections (via this thread and Proac) that have been raised.

To everyone else out there reading this thread please send in your objections before the end of January.

Thanks

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I have had a response from the Scottish office dealing with the objections acknowledging receipt of my objection. I guess many others have also had a receipt.

It also tells me that I will be notified of the outcome once all the new information about the windfarm proposal has been considered.

So to all who read this thread you have until the end of January to wite or send an email of objection in regard to the proposals.

Let us all do our bit for the protection of the birds, wildlife and habitat of this part of Isle of Lewis.

Thanks Dean

Dean Powell said:
Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I have had a response from the Scottish office dealing with the objections acknowledging receipt of my objection. I guess many others have also had a receipt.

It also tells me that I will be notified of the outcome once all the new information about the windfarm proposal has been considered.

So to all who read this thread you have until the end of January to wite or send an email of objection in regard to the proposals.

Let us all do our bit for the protection of the birds, wildlife and habitat of this part of Isle of Lewis.

Thanks Dean
I have also had the standard Scottish Executive reply. I have also had a mail from the Public Affairs Dept. at RSPB Scotland:

I am pleased to see that you are encouraging people to object to the latest Lewis Wind Power proposals for a wind farm on Lewis. As you know, the RSPB is very concerned about this development - and the more objections the Executive receives, the more they are likely to take notice.

I have had copies of 70 objections to date. Keep it up until the end of January ...

[font=&quot] [/font]

How about suggesting a wind farm on the whole of Gruinard?

It's still contaminated with Anthrax after the experiment there so it can hardly suffer more with concrete foundations, hardcore roads, transmission pylons, sub-stations, etc.

Objection letter sent via e-mail. Thanks David for the template letter. The more they receive the better!!

Cheers
Jo

Hi Jodd,

Thanks for emailing your objection it is a really important issue.

I hope many more BirdForum members and non member send in their objections before the end of January.

Thankyou to all who have done this already and who plan to do so now.

Dean

Hi,

There is a lot of healthy debate on the conservation forum about windfarms.

We only have a few days left to go before the end of January and only have until then to email our objections to this development.

I ask all BF members who read this to do your bit and take a few minutes to send in your email of objection.

Once again I thank all who have emailed their objections since this thread began. :D

It would be good to hear from David again about the number of objections received so far. The last I read was 70. The figure should be higher now. There will be many objections from other quarters on top of this.

To all BF members and non members keep up the good work.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Dean Powell said:
Hi,

x
It would be good to hear from David again about the number of objections received so far. The last I read was 70. The figure should be higher now. There will be many objections from other quarters on top of this.

To all BF members and non members keep up the good work.

Dean

Cheadle Birder
I've been busy Dean. My figures have only just crept up to 76. I give it a last boost this weekend.

Hi David,

Thanks for the information. I hope other BF members will find the time to send in objections before the end of the month.

It will be interesting to see how many objections there are other than those raised by BF members and Proac.

Lets hope for the best outcome ie no windfarm

Thanks

Dean

Hi all,

Well the end of January has passed us by. I just want to say a big thankyou to all BF members and non members who sent in their objections against this windfarm scheme. It was worth the effort to campaign on this matter in the interests of birds, wildlife and habitat in this remote part of the world.

It will be interesting to see how many objections were received overall.

I guess we have to wait and see what the outcome will be. Watch this space!!!!

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Obscene......... Destroying one of the few wild places in Britain to provide energy for people hundreds of miles away. A Nuke PS or two on Gruinard (or Westminster!) would've been a 'greener' option!
Reminds me of 'Local Hero'

Alan Seaton said:
Money talks. The Western Isles Council approved the plans by 18 votes to 8.
It would seem to be the case , there are several decisions due in Wales and i expect them to go the same way. What a stich up all in the name of money, tossers

Money seemingly talks, watching news items on the box its certainly split the community.

Re Gruinard its a nice island no longer classed as contaminated in a superb setting and WT Eagles occasionally use it as a roost.

Stewart

Stewart, did you see the recent report on one of the proposals in Northumberland? The site straddles a boundary with Alnwick District Council and a couple of weeks ago ADC gave their approval by a single vote. One of the councillors was quoted in the Northumberland Gazette as saying that he had previously been against the proposal, but following a site visit to a windfarm he had changed his mind because "he would sooner see wind turbines than pylons".

He must think the electricity blows on the wind from the turbines to the consumer.

These are the people that make decisions on our behalf.

Alan Seaton said:
Stewart, did you see the recent report on one of the proposals in Northumberland? The site straddles a boundary with Alnwick District Council and a couple of weeks ago ADC gave their approval by a single vote. One of the councillors was quoted in the Northumberland Gazette as saying that he had previously been against the proposal, but following a site visit to a windfarm he had changed his mind because "he would sooner see wind turbines than pylons".

He must think the electricity blows on the wind from the turbines to the consumer.

These are the people that make decisions on our behalf.
No I was away for that one, heres local info I put on forum some time ago but seemed to pass folk by

http://www.windbyte.co.uk/

Stewart

Here's some more.

http://www.stopturbines.com/maps.html

PS - A minor correction for my post above; I'm not absolutely certain that the council involved was Alnwick. It may have been one of the others in the area, but I'm leaning towards Alnwick. I've lost the article, so I can't check.

PPS Disregard the PS, I found the article on page 11 of the Northumberland Gazette for 1st February 2007. It concerns a proposal for 20 3MW turbines on the Ray Estate near Otterburn, straddling Tynedale and Alnwick boundaries.

"Wind farm wins district support"

"Councillors narrowly voted to support a wind farm described by one as a blight on the Northumberland landscape......

it goes on and includes;

"Coun Jones said; 'I was previously against this but I would rather see wind turbines than pylons. If this is what it takes to save our planet I'm all for it'.

Coun Sue Champion disagreed: 'I think we are being short sighted, 60MW will do little and is covering 26km square area of land. We are risking to Blight Northumberland landscape when other energy is available'."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back