• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you recommend a guide? (1 Viewer)

Janshorty

Hi all, I am off to Greece for 2 weeks pretty soon and am in need of a guide!

It takes me all my time to ID most British birds ( being a newbie ) so I will be lost without one. The best I have is a collins, although it is the 'Complete British Birds' guide, so I don't suppose it will be much good in Greece!! Or will it?? :h?:

Hi Jan,

I am not familiar with the "Complete British Birds Guide". but I do believe it indeed only covers Britain, meaning that many Greek species would not be in there. I also suggest you do not rely on a photographic guide, they might look nice, but often make ID'ing birds very difficult. I suggest "Collins BIRD GUIDE: The Most Complete Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe by Lars Svensson", arguably one of the best books you can buy. It has many useful hints for both newbies and more experienced watchers, and can be used anywhere in Europe.

Hi Jan

never been to Greece but the obvious choices are:

The Collins Bird Guide - Svennson et al
or
The Birds of Britain Europe and North Africa - Lars Jonsson

Most folk rate the Collins as the best bet but the Jonsson has many fans.

Hope you have a good holiday.

Thanks for the replies,

The COLLINS BIRD GUIDE was the one I requested (birthday present) but ended up with the BRITISH version. I will now invest in the other, which was originally shown to me by Helenol. I didn't realise it covered so much!!

Thanks again.

Hello Jan, long time no see!

I thought I had shown you the Collins book, but couldn't quite remember.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

Regards

helenol said:
Hello Jan, long time no see!

I thought I had shown you the Collins book, but couldn't quite remember.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

Regards

Hi Helen,

I am off to the Trafford Centre to pick up my tickets this week, do you think I will be able to get the guide from WHSmith? It is a reasonably large shop but at Christmas I couldn't even get an Oxford school dictionary for my eldest!! If not where is most likely to have it IN STOCK?

Janshorty said:
P.S. Have you talked him into a new DSLR yet?
ahem.... err, no. Well, I keep hinting, but it doesn't seem to be working. Give me time.

As Pete says, I need bins too. I have no gear whatsoever :-C

Donations gratefully received.

helenol said:
ahem.... err, no. Well, I keep hinting, but it doesn't seem to be working. Give me time.

As Pete says, I need bins too. I have no gear whatsoever :-C

Donations gratefully received.

I got some bins for my birthday. They were recommended by o forum member, from 7dayshop.com £27.49 from £134.99. Eyetx 10 x 42 they are great, but then you saw the others that I have so anything would be really!!! :bounce:

Janshorty said:
but then you saw the others that I have so anything would be really!!! :bounce:

At least you have a pair! I have some 8x21's. As one member (who shall remain anonymous) commented one day "Like looking through loo rolls!" I'm almost inclined to agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back