• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Offers (1 Viewer)

ApusApus

Looking to upgrade my 20D and see that the 7D is being offered at £ 790 by Procamera Shop and Simply Electronics. Does anybody have experience of these guys as the price is £ 200 cheaper than WEX Photographic amongst others?

Thanks Shane

Check out this thread for Simplyelectronics.. the latter replies are fairly offputting. They make out they are a UK company, but are actually based in Hong Kong, and their customer service, delivery timescales, and processing of refunds suck.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=122483

As you can see, they inconvenienced me more than any other company I have ever dealt with, and i have a long memory for a grudge!

Last edited:
Both are grey importers and both get some positive and some negative reviews. I have read enough negative about them that I wouldn't buy from them. Currently Canon are selling refurb ones (refurbed by Canon) via their eBay store for £750, that's the way I'd go if I was buying one at the moment.

I've just bought a teleconverter from Simply Electronics and found them absolutely first class. However, trawl the net for opinions and you'll see a lot of negative stuff too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll be saving for a bit longer!

Checked Hdew Dave, the offer expired in September, should have checked earlier I guess.

Shane

Looks like Hdew cameras are running down their stock of Canon as they dont have much on their website.And looks as though they havent had the 7D for several weeks now.

Shane

We are travelling the same path. Have a look at this site for price comparisons.

http://www.photino.co.uk/prod.php?p=944&pn=CanonEOS7DBody

"Martins Cameras" seems to be the cheapest onshore supplier at the moment for 7D's.

I have looked at the Ts&Cs for the HK vendors. They are a bit ugly and leave you horribly exposed. Of course you will not be covered by either Sales of Goods Act or Distance Selling regulations and your recourse is to a Hong Kong court of arbitration. As a grey import warranty will be return to HK (probably at your cost). Generally the vendors claim that they will work to reduce any taxes or duties on your behalf. I felt that with my "luck" I would end up with a bill for import duty or worse possibly VAT.

Good Luck

Amy

I will wait till after Christmas and hope prices ease a little if there is excess stock available.

Digital Rev have a good reputation for a gray importer no vat or import tax but u do have to send it back to Hong Kong if it needs repair during the first year.

Looks like Hdew cameras are running down their stock of Canon as they dont have much on their website.And looks as though they havent had the 7D for several weeks now.

Just had a look on HDEW, they have the 7D for £798.99 delivered + 3 year warranty, I bought mine from them in August for £824.99, ordered on Sunday, delivered on Tuesday :t:

Hdew must have just had a delivery of 7D ad 60Ds as these were'nt on their website last night also as Canon are offering50% of accessoies looks like the rumors about the 7D and 60D being replaced by the 7D mk2 next January could be true

I ordered a 7d from Simply Electronics a few months back, over the phone. I asked them about duty and VAT and was told that the cost was inclusive of duty etc. Their delivery time frames were wildly optimistic, I had to make repeated phone calls to get them to actually dispatch the camera.

When I finally received the 7d, it was described on the CN22 form as camera batteries with a low value in then tens of pounds. It seems that this is a fraudulent way of selling in the UK, so I for one, wouldn't use them again.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I was looking at their website for i-pads this morning. This prices appear very good but on checking, the reviews are very mixed.

Rich
I ordered a 7d from Simply Electronics a few months back, over the phone. I asked them about duty and VAT and was told that the cost was inclusive of duty etc. Their delivery time frames were wildly optimistic, I had to make repeated phone calls to get them to actually dispatch the camera.

When I finally received the 7d, it was described on the CN22 form as camera batteries with a low value in then tens of pounds. It seems that this is a fraudulent way of selling in the UK, so I for one, wouldn't use them again.

I just rang HDEW as they are only "round the corner" to organise a 7D collection. They do not actually have any in stock for a pick up but if I give them 100 sov's over the phone they can get one in about 4 working days. So not exactly "in stock".

A.

http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/category/Cameras/Canon,l.html?page=2

I know nothing about them but they have stock and they are incredibly cheap at £779. It appears the stock is in the UK but can't be sure. Worth a phone call.

I know somebody who bought a 7D from procamerashop and had no problems.

It is highly likely that ALL the low-cost camera retailers mentioned here are sailing close to the wind regarding VAT. As others have noted, they purport to operate as shipping agents, with the end customer the actual importer.

I would be worried that, at some point, HMRC might have a crackdown on these importers, obtain copies of sales invoices, and pursue buyers for unpaid VAT + penalties and interest.

I can't believe that the fully legit retailers aren't lobbying to get the grey importers closed-down, as they must lose significant sales.

Has anyone recently dealt with Kerso (Ian Kerr)? I sent him a couple of queries recently and had no reply. In common with many members here I have had very positive experiences buying from him in the past.

Has anyone recently dealt with Kerso (Ian Kerr)? I sent him a couple of queries recently and had no reply. In common with many members here I have had very positive experiences buying from him in the past.

He's on holiday at the moment so might not be able to reply until he is back.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back