• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS USM (1 Viewer)

kneonlight

I currently have a 7D with 400mm F5.6 lens.
However I am off to Mull soon and need a lens to photograph White Tailed Sea Eagles. Have been told that 400mm may well be too much.
As a result I am after a lens with less magnification. I was thinking of getting a zoom lens as it then gives me a bit of flexibility.
Does anyone have any experience with the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS USM?
This is the one I have been looking at and was wondering what people thought of this lens.

The new 100-400 IS II is a fantastic lens. What about selling the 400f5.6 and getting the 100-400 IS II and that way you won't need two lenses.

The new 100-400 IS II is a fantastic lens. What about selling the 400f5.6 and getting the 100-400 IS II and that way you won't need two lenses.

I couldn't agree more!!

I've owned the 70-300 L lens since it was released and it's one of the sharpest Canon lenses I've ever used. That said, even though I have that lens as well as the Canon 400mm f4 DO, I'm planning on acquiring the 100-400mm version II soon since reviews on it have been fabulous, and it will cut down on the weight I carry in the field plus give me more flexibility.

Chris

I've just returned from Mull and was on the Mull Charters boat trip twice, I used a 70/200 f2.8 non IS with a 1.4 EX, the same as I used last year. It is more than adequate for the job especially when the Eagles are taking fish off the water at no more than 15 feet away.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back