• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF Camera Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

sebib

Canada
Hello, I was considering to purchase a new camera for my wildlife photography, but I am at a loss of which camera I should buy. I am currently using the Canon T7, but found that the autofocus for moving subjects, such as birds in flight, is not the best. Does anyone have any recommendations of what Canon EF camera I should buy (preferably with a strong lock of focus on moving subjects)?

Additional Note: If it helps to narrow down camera choices, I am currently using the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary.

You don't mention your budget or level of expertise.

At the lower end you have the 80/90D. I still have the 80D and it served me well for years. Autofocus for BIF is ok but not great. The 90D is a slight step up in focusing but otherwise bigger improvements all round.

Then you have the 5D IV which many pros have used and has a much better focusing system but cost around twice that of the 90D.

Finally you could look at the 7D II. Probably has the best focusing of the bunch (?) but is an older camera. Probably cheapest of the bunch too.

Personally, if I had to choose it would be between the 90D and 5D IV, and I would go for the 90D. Cheaper and it has the cropfactor, despite the focusing not being as good as the 5D IV. Probably best to narrow your choice down to a few then figure out the pros and cons and decide on that.

I've attached a couple of examples taken with the 80D of Puffins, which is quite a small and fast bird. Note though these were taken with a Canon 400mm f5.6 lens which I would imagine is faster focusing than the Sigma you're using.

Attachments

• Puffin Farnes 1.jpg
    Puffin Farnes 1.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Puffin Farnes 2.jpg
    Puffin Farnes 2.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 34
I'll give a thumbs up to Frank's advice! I have stuck to the 7D II, mostly just because in my mind I can't justify the cost of upgrading to mirrorless body and lenses and usually use it with the Canon 300mm f4, which I bought used very reasonably, with the Canon 1.4 extender and get excellent results. When I know I'm going to need as much reach as possible I use the Sigma 150-600mm C. The focus struggles a little more with that set up, but I still manage plenty of excellent shots. The Sigma is heavy though.

Thank you both very much for your replies! I am thinking to go with the Canon 7D Mark II.

Edit: Now thinking of the 90D. Thank you both for your help!

Last edited:
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back