• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS M6 with Swarovski TLS APO - needs two adapters? (1 Viewer)

jonhicks

Jon Hicks
United Kingdom
I want to use a Canon EOS M6 II with my ATX scope. As I understand it, I would need:
  1. the 30mm TLS APO (for APS-C cameras)
  2. a canon T2 adapter ring
  3. presumably another adapter to connect to the EOS M mount? (such as: Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS M - Lenses - Camera & Photo lenses - Canon UK)
Is this the case? If so, would the extra adapter length cause issues with the TLS APO? In which case, would it be simpler to get a Sony A6600 and a Sony adapter?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answer!

Replying to my own question - in case anyone is in the same boat. Yes, it does need two adaptors, and isn't worth the hassle! There are potential problems with adding another adapter to the mix, and my local camera shop also warned me off the Canon M6 as it's a platform that Canon have abandoned (the R series is where they said the investment was worthwhile)

I want to use a Canon EOS M6 II with my ATX scope. As I understand it, I would need:
  1. the 30mm TLS APO (for APS-C cameras)
  2. a canon T2 adapter ring
  3. presumably another adapter to connect to the EOS M mount? (such as: Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS M - Lenses - Camera & Photo lenses - Canon UK)
Is this the case? If so, would the extra adapter length cause issues with the TLS APO? In which case, would it be simpler to get a Sony A6600 and a Sony adapter?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answer!

I have used the Canon M6 Mark II for a while without any problem on the same combo like yours. It was good especially with the focus peaking which was not available with my aging Nikon V1

Attachments

• Canon M6 II + Swarovski STX95.jpg
    Canon M6 II + Swarovski STX95.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 14
I have a Canon EOS M50 which uses the EF-M mount which I think is the same as the EOS M6 so I assume I need to use the T2 ring plus a EF to EF-M adaptor (which I have). I thought the 30mm TLS APO was the first size they sold and designed for APS-C which with Canon is EF-M so it seems odd they produced an adaptor for the sensor it wasn't intended for.

To connect the 30mm TLS APO lens to your Canon EOS M6 II camera, you'll need the Canon T2 adapter ring. However, you'll also require another adapter like the Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS M to connect the T2 ring to the EOS M mount. While additional adapters can increase the risk of failure and reduce image quality, it's difficult to determine if they'll cause issues with the TLS APO lens without knowing specific equipment measurements. Ultimately, whether it's worth considering a Sony A6600 and a Sony adapter instead of the Canon setup depends on your personal preference and needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back