• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon press conference (1 Viewer)

Why's that then? Excuse me - feeling a bit dim at the moment, am rather tired after a day of cleaning and furniture moving.

I think that the implication is that it's even better than the 5D mkII, though for turely impressive results have a look at the D3...

I talked to Canon at the Birdfair to-day about DSLR releases, but they were very tight lipped. No denials but no confirmations on 60d.

EDIT I just wonder if any of the new DSLR will incorperate the flip screen thats on the G11 and will they lower the Mega Pixs on the 60d ?

Last edited:
Looks like the new G11 and S90 use this 10MP sensor from Sony:

icx685cqz datasheet (PDF)

Datasheet has some interesting information about improved sensitivity and saturation compared to existing CCD sensors from Sony. After scaling for pixel area, etc, it is reasonable to expect about 1 f-stop better sensitivity and slightly more than 1 f-stop dynamic range improvement compared to G10. I believe Canon press release is claiming more improvement than this, but this is probably due to improved RAW processing and noise reduction algorithms that are implemented in G11.

I would expect G11 and S90 to generate pretty decent images at ISO400 in terms of noise and DR. S90 also comes with a faster lens, so it will be particularly interesting to see how it work for digiscoping...

It is very likely that the recently announced Ricoh GR III is also using the same Sony sensor. There are some ISO400 and ISO1600 sample images at Ricoh's Japanese website:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/20090805_307174.html

More sample images are from a Rich GR III test which uses the same sensor:

http://www.photographyblog.com/.../ricoh_gr_digital_iii_review/sample_images/

ISO400 looks quite good.

Last edited:
Was at the birdfair yesterday, talking to one of the canon reps about slrs, and i brought up this, "i know canon are in the throws of releasing new slrs, I love reading the rumours about the 60d and 7d" I had a reply of, "yes, it would be interesting to see which one comes first"!!!!! So was this just a nod and agree with the rumours or was it saying we are going to get both cameras???
I also made the comment, why dont canon make a telescope using their L glass, as i think it would be superb kit, and popular, the reply to this was, Will have to put that idea to them.!

I talked to Canon at the Birdfair to-day about DSLR releases, but they were very tight lipped. No denials but no confirmations on 60d.

EDIT I just wonder if any of the new DSLR will incorperate the flip screen thats on the G11 and will they lower the Mega Pixs on the 60d ?

most prob a mistake, or a tease for us canon users in our quest for information!!
I found this via a google search for canon 60d,!
http://www.treknature.com/photos.php?cat=camera&id=1452
Isnt waiting a lovely game that we play...

Those pics were taken in 2008! Obviously an advanced beta tester........

Canon Rumours has lots of speculation on the rumoured 7D.

Maybe announced next week, if you believe the rumours that is.

I've had a 400D for 2 and 1/2 years and now is the time for an upgrade so I'm hanging on to see what is released this autumn. If those 7D specs are true (and if it actually exists of course) I'll get one for sure.

Last edited:
The site is just what is claims 'Canon Rumours' so anything on there should be taken with a pinch of salt but to be fair I did read several weeks ago that the EOS announcements would be on 1 sept (see post no 18) and that the August announcements would be for point and shoot cameras.

Its here
60d, 12mp, digitec pro 5 processor, flip out screen, in camera IS, in camera neat-image,12fps, 15 all point focus, 3.5" screen 2 million pix..
sorry, blow me I have lost the link... mum have I been dreaming :eek!:

Look at this.

I have to stop looking at all these rumour sites.

EOS 7D poster decoded using collective intelligence of the web:

• 18 Mega Pixel (1800 x 10,000)
  • Dual Digic 4
  • 8fps
  • All Cross-type 19 point AF
  • ISO 6400
  • 63 zone metering
  • 100% coverage of Optical Viewfinder
  • Artificial Intelligence something (too blur)
  • Electronic Horizon Control (level built into display?)
  • 3" LCD
  • Full HD Movie
  • Live view (what is new here?)
Now only one question remains: Is it 1.6x crop or 1.3x crop? The lens in the poster appears to be the upcoming EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6, but 18MP may be excessive pixel density for a 1.6x crop sensor. 7D could be a 1.3x crop 18MP camera that is engineered to also accept EF-S lenses. In this case, resolution would be 18MP when you use an EF lens, but it would be cropped to 12MP if you use an EF-S lens.

The official announcement is expected on Sept 1st.

Last edited:
Supposing the noise is good that would be some camera. Personally I would hope for 1.6 so my S lenses would fit and it would have maximum reach with long lenses. Supposing the noise is good and I have the funds that is.

IF that is correct, then they must have an amazing processing engine under that hull! About £1700, lets hope they weather seal it considerably too...

Ah well not long to go to find out

Hmm I am a little worried about the 18MP part - I get the bad feeling that Canon might have gone for MP (again) and that higher ISOs might suffer. I really hope that it has some impressive noise control (without having softer images/loss of finer details) so that we can use higher ISOs more

Some decent weathersealing would be a realy nice bonus!

The rumours are coming thick and fast and include more pictures.

18MP does seem a tad excessive but it seems to tick a lot of boxes otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back