• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon upgrade; what would you do? (4 Viewers)

bpw said:
Well, I broke my faithful 10D yesterday. After downloading my recent pictures, I pushed the CF card back into the slot and it didn’t feel right. The camera wouldn’t read the card and eventually reported a CF card error. One of the pins had bent. I’ve been pushing the card in without much thought over the last two years and I’ve never considered this to be a potential weakness. I’ll have to take more care with my new camera.

Yes, I’ve used the failure as an excuse to buy my new camera. I had intended to hang on until the work situation changed and Canon introduced a new model, as this may reduce the price of existing models, but...

I considered the 30D, and the 20D (good value at the moment), but I’ve gone for the 1D Mark II N. Seems a bit reckless in my current position, but I was feeling low and now I’m feeling better! Will arrive tomorrow hopefully.

Hi Paul,

The pins bend fairly easily and straighten just as easily. Assuming you haven't really forced it and snapped the pin off, CAREFUL straightening can be done with a fine pair of tweezers.

I put a microdrive into my 300d backwards and bent 3 pins, straightened them and 2 years on everythings still fine.

It might mean you can keep the 10D as a backup.

Paul

paul goode said:
The pins bend fairly easily and straighten just as easily. Assuming you haven't really forced it and snapped the pin off, CAREFUL straightening can be done with a fine pair of tweezers.Paul

Thanks Paul, but one of the pins is not only bent, it’s loose and spins around. I suspect that it may have been loose before I bent it, rather than the other way around.

I may get a quote for repair. As you say, I can then use it as a backup if my new camera fails. It’s arrived, by the way, and I’m currently working my way through the manual!

bpw said:
but one of the pins is not only bent, it’s loose and spins around.

Ooh err, that doesn't sound too good. I suppose you could still straighten it and see what happens, that pin may not be used in this application. I suppose for the value of a 10D the repair to replace the connector could be excessive.

For now i'd forget it and enjoy your new toy!!

Paul

shiverfix said:
I have a 10D which I have owned since just before the 300D was released. It has gotten a lot of use. Now that the 30D is out, I am seriously considering upgrading to the 20D. The 30D has driven the price of the 20D down, and doesn't have enough features for me to justify the extra price. I have heard wonderful things about the 20D.

Part of going with the 20D is because it has a higher megapixal than the 10D. I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but it still gives the ability for a larger print, or to crop more with the same quality as the 10D. The 20D also has a better sensor than the 10D, so image quality is better overall. It also has better noise reduction, which is important if you are shooting at higher ISO settings.
I think the main advantage of the 20d over 10d is speed. It will amaze you. You certainly won't be disappointd.

I did the same thing - waited till the 30d came out, then bought a second hand 20d. The 30d isn't a big step up, prices on that have crashed and second hand 20ds are still pretty expensive. I then dropped the 20d :-( and after attempts to repair failed, my insurance paid for a 30d. I would look carefully at the 30d if I were you. The shutter is much quieter than the 20d and you have spot metering - both very good for birds. I have only had mine for a few days, and I really liked my 20d, but I am very pleased with the 30d.

Mike.

For anyone reading this old thread, I had my 10D repaired in September by Lehman’s in Stoke-on-Trent; I’ll carry it as a spare. It took about 10 days and cost me £150 (I live fairly close to the shop, so there was no postage involved).

Fps has become an important feature to me, as it may increase the chance of getting an acceptable shot with a fast-moving bird, particularly in flight. But it’s difficult to imagine the difference that the extra 2fps would make. And, of course, the extra two fps would use up the buffer much quicker: 3fps for 9 images = 3 second burst (10D); 5fps for 11 images = 2.2 second burst (30D); 8.5fps for 22 images = 2.6 second burst (ID MKII N)!

If fps is the most important thing for you, the 1DIIN might be the thing - it's autofocus is reputed to be class-leading as well.
Just a note of caution though - I have just moved from a 1V to a 1DsII, which is basically the same body as the 1DIIN. It is a VERY heavy, very large camera. I have had to change how I carry my kit - new bag etc, also how I hold the camera. Situations where I would have handheld comfortably can be a bit challenging. I'm adapting, but I would advise getting one in your hands before buying so you know how it will feel.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back