• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Vulture or Martial Eagle? West Coast NP, South Africa (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi all,

I spotted this raptor in the West Coast National Park in South Africa, back in late August 2016.

At the time my friend and I thought it was a juvenile Martial Eagle on account of its distinctive black-and-white wings, the dark tail and the head shape.

On reflection now Cape Vulture seems a better fit.

However given their rarity and our unfamiliarity with both species, I'd like some help with identifying the bird from these photos. The bird was rather distant so these are cropped.

IMG_3180 martial eagle-2.jpg

IMG_3186 martial eagle-2.jpg

Many thanks and happy new year,

Paul

The secondaries are darker than the primaries, opposite way around to Cape Vulture so Martial for me on that alone?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back