• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car hire Zimbabwe Zambia (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
I've trued in vein to find a car hire co that allows a hire car into Zambia from Zimbabwe.

Anyone ever done this?

I've tried in vein to find a car hire co that allows a hire car into Zambia from Zimbabwe.

Anyone ever done this?
When I was in Zambia, we drove a car that had in been driven in from South Africa. I don't know with what company though.
I guess you might have a shot at crossing the Zambian border in such a car. A South African plate may make you a bit more interesting for the police.

Yeah, you read reports of people touring southern Africa, yet I'm having difficulty finding out about cross border hire cars. Odd when four borders meet v close to Victoria Falls.

@halftwo are you planning on visiting both countries on the same trip? We've booked a 4x4 from a company in Lusaka for a trip in Zambia this autumn, but I'm unsure if it could be taken across the border. Drop me a PM if you want the contact details - the rates are very good.

We drove from South Africa, all the way through Namibia and Botswana then Zambia and Zimbabwe with no issues. You have to pay for letters of permission to cross the border then you have to pay any local insurance and taxes when you cross.

The only place we couldn't get permission to take the car back then was Mozambique.

I'm starting in Victoria Falls & going to Cape Town, but have a couple of days in the area first, & want to bird both sides of the border.
Looks like I might have to hire in Zambia for that side, strangely.
One company allows all border crossing except Zambia.
Maybe they have problems with hire cars making the crossing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back