• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrion Crow or Raven? Thetford. Sept 2023 (1 Viewer)

Josh1234

United Kingdom
Evening all- an easy one for you here.

I saw and heard a number of ravens at Elveden Center Parcs (Thetford) this weekend.

I photographed two corvids perched quite close to the bird hide there which I would appreciate a positive ID on.

My initial impression was raven.
The bills seemed heavy, they were clearly travelling together, there were some obvious throat feathers BUT they didn't strike me as massive birds and nor did their bills.

I did snap a definite raven further away which didn't seem any bigger (including the bill).

Please confirm either way and if there are any further ID tips- I'd be grateful.

All the best,
Josh

Attachments

• 20230924172451_IMG_1451.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230924172353_IMG_1446.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 20230924172351_IMG_1445.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230924172414_IMG_1450.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230924171950_IMG_1430.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 47
Identify ravens by call, or by shape in flight: far far easier than silent birds on the ground.
Pic 4 seems possible - apparently-graduated tail. Otherwise, pics don't look terribly raveny - which isn't saying anything either way.

I'm leaning towards carrion crow more now- tail would be more rounded and bill does look less heavy in the last pic. Though again I'm not sure an confident ID should be made. They are better separated from the field and flight pics are optimal for separating the two species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back