• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Queensland - Crow or Raven? (1 Viewer)

Mark Eising

Registered Member
During my visit to O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat in November 2022, I saw a couple of times around the lodge this Raven or Crow. In my opinion, it should be Australian Raven, Little Crow or Torresian Crow. They are all about the same size and they all look rather the same. The only thing that should be different is the length of the tail in comparison with the wings and, of course, the souns they make (which I didn't hear). It seems that my photo shows a somewhat slightly longer tail which would indicate Little Crow. But I have strong doubts for some reason.
At O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, they didn't seem to know either, actually quite to my surprise.
Any advice is highly appreciated! The two photos show two different birds.

Attachments

• DSC06846.JPG
    DSC06846.JPG
    953.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC07188.JPG
    DSC07188.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Australian crows are pretty impossible. Don't expect to identify them unless you hear - and are familiar with - the calls.

Agree with Butty that they're annoyingly difficult, sometimes even if you hear them.

Of the 3 you mention I'd be extremely surprised if it's Little Crow at that location, because it is essentially a bird of the arid outback. Of the other two it's often possible to identify Australian Raven if you can see the long throat hackles bulging out, but if you can't see them it doesn't mean that it isn't one. If you have more pics check if you can see this feature.

Yeah, well that was the one I saw on the road up to the visitor centre.
Thank you all guys! It seems that Torresian Crow has been seen here often and the other species apparantly not. I will name it a Torresian Crow also because the habitat seems more appropriate, Little Crow is more an dry area species and Raven, in my experience, just behave differently (that is: the ravens I've seen in the US and Europe). :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back