• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap Bins (1 Viewer)

Solar Cycles

I'm looking for some new bins either Porro or Roof under £100. I've got my eye ( pardon the pun ) on the Hawke Nature View 8x42 or 32', the Hawke Endurance PC in the same, the Opticron Savanna 8x30 and finally the Nikon 7x35 ex. Basically I want something that's a bit of an all rounder that can be used for hiking and birding.

Any advice on theabove would be greatly appreciated, such as how does the Endurance PC stack against the Nautre view and how both of these stack up against the Porros in term of image quality and sharpness etc, etc.

Do NOT get the Hawke PHase Corrected. They are truly awful. I sent back 4 units, each with their own horrific set of woes.

Quality of image was also very poor. A bin to avoid.

The Savannah Porro from Opticron though is a great bin. Plenty sharp and crisp.

Thanks Ratal for the heads up on the PC Hawkes, what about the Nature Trek?

My friend has the 8x42, and they are a nice but larger sized bin. Good image, very robust, none of the worries on eye relief, build, image or diopter problems of the Hawke PC.

One way to get the most out of the purchase under $100
is to go 7x50. The field quality, eye relief, mechanical
toughness, tolerance for mechanical shifts, depth of field, and eye placement
are almost always better than counterparts in the same product line
of different powers. The Nikon Aculon 7x50 is a rather dramatic
example of that. It even has a whopping 18mm eye relief, which just comes
along with the power and aperture, without needing a more precise
focuser and advanced eyepieces. There is a good Bushnell for less (H20 7x50),
but there are some complaints about stiff assembly.

The tradeoff, of course, is a bigger body.
Just mentioning the option, in case you are OK with the tradeoff.

Last edited:
The only one on your list I can speak to is the Nikon 7x35 EX. I would have to recommend that you stay away from this one. It has a very small sweet spot, is not very bright for it's size, and it weighs too much for what you get. It is one of the more disappointing binos I've seen lately. In the US, there are much better choices in it's price range. I would wager that is the case where you are as well......

Thanks for the replies. So the Nikon joins the Hawke PC models to the bin then leaving the Opticron Savanna and the Hawke Nature Trek. There are a number of models that fall into my price category with most manufacturers catering for this prize range, however I want the one with best image quality above all else ( don't we all ) though I would want to keep the weight under 700g.

Yeah, the Porro from Opticron is what I'd go for at this price.

Very light, bright clear view. Great for hiking bin.

Last edited:
Ah...that's right, they still make 6x30s!
Many of the benefits of the 7x50s, smaller.
There is the Leupold, Opticron, Bushnell, and Kowa.
All have an advanced eyepiece too.

Hi,

others have already mentioned it - porro bins are your best bet in that price range.

The Opticron Savanah WP or its brethren Kowa YF and Leupold Yosemites are nice options.

For a good and very low cost option in 7x50 I'd recommend a used ZOMZ BNB1 or BNU 7x50 from the Soviet Union. I have owned both models and they compared favorably to a CZJ Binoctem, but you can get 'em from german ebay for 50-80 euros. You ideally want a sample made in CCCP from the eighties. Before you might get single coated ones and the later made in russia examples (often marketed as Kronos) had some quality issues at times.

Joachim

Interesting inside.... Zeiss-based, but the Russians added a
special obsession for a super-sharp inner 2/3rds of the field.
Nice for distance and astro, too.

late 70s.. 80s vintage Zeiss 8x30 poros in good condition work for a lot of people....and also have that nostalgia thing going for them.....

Any views on the Hawke Nature Trek 8x32, can get them for £89 here in the UK. They take all the boxes regarding weight, phase coatings, FOV, etc, etc?

Hi,

these are cheap chinese roof bins which usually is sth to avoid. Sometimes you might get lucky - if you can go to a store, sample one and if you like it, pay and walk out with the one you sampled, it might work. Or be prepared to send back a lemon.

Joachim

Agree with above that porro is the way to go in that price range. Opticron or Kowa YF, I have looked through the 6x Kowa and thought it good, not seen the 8x, but doubt it is much different. Vintage wise, as gunut said a used Zeiss or Nikon porro, or a Bushnell 8x Custom maybe, although a custom would be a bit bulkier. Don't rule out a used porro, you may get something at your price which is better than a new one at that price.

I just spotted this, worth keeping an eye on. Nothing to do with me I stress, but looks like it might not go too high.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KOWA-YF-8...275762?hash=item1eac08c8f2:g:8fsAAOSwWTRWzOGM

Good luck.

Last edited:
The Leupold 8x30 seems to try too hard for performance, and the
eye gets blackout if you aren't careful. If you need glasses, you'd better
actually wear them. The 6x30s are more easy-going for placement.

Of all the 8x30 Leu/Kowa clones, I kept the Barska Crossovers.
Very comfortable placement. I had to upgrade the focuser, though,
so it's hard to recommend.

Yeah, the Porro from Opticron is what I'd go for at this price.

Very light, bright clear view. Great for hiking bin.

I recommend this bin as well. I have the 6x30 Savannah and think it's very nice.
I like that it's all black... it looks to me just a little more grown up looking than the others. Also, I believe it has a closer focus than the others.

I have owned the early version Yosemite (in light green when they had the color choices) and used it occasionally for about 4 years.
Tried the Kowa YF once and thought it nice too, so really any of these 3 are handy little porros that perform very well given their price.

The Opticron Savanna's are looking a good buy. There are some bargains to be had on eBay at the moment with one or two catching my eye, with one in particular that I don't know much about as there is little info on them.

So with the that in mind has anyone used or could elaborate more on the Kenko Ultraview DH ii 10x32, they're selling for £99. The other bargain or so it seems is the Opticron Explorer 10x42 though this maybe a little on the heavy side for me but does have good reviews.

The Opticron Savanna's are looking a good buy. There are some bargains to be had on eBay at the moment with one or two catching my eye, with one in particular that I don't know much about as there is little info on them.

So with the that in mind has anyone used or could elaborate more on the Kenko Ultraview DH ii 10x32, they're selling for £99. The other bargain or so it seems is the Opticron Explorer 10x42 though this maybe a little on the heavy side for me but does have good reviews.

GRAB THOSE KENKOS AND RUN! £99?!?! That's a STEAL!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back