• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap Bins (1 Viewer)

Nikon 8x42 Aculon will get you a bright view, 8 degree field of view, enhanced depth of field that porro bins offer, and slightly over 5mm exit pupil all for less than $100. 8x is probably the most useful magnification for birding.

Last edited:
jring,

The Ultraview DH and Ultraview DH II are two different designs. The original was based off the same platform as the Vixen Foresta and Theron Optics Wapiti LT. The Ultraview II is the same binocular as the Sightron SII Blue Sky. Kenko manufacturers them in the Phillipines, not China.

jring,

The Ultraview DH and Ultraview DH II are two different designs. The original was based off the same platform as the Vixen Foresta and Theron Optics Wapiti LT. The Ultraview II is the same binocular as the Sightron SII Blue Sky. Kenko manufacturers them in the Phillipines, not China.

Frank put me onto the Sightrons 8x32 model, and I got a cherry pair. Every person, without fail who has looked through them so far, has had a 'Wowser, that's a nice view!' moment. 99£? That's a STEAL.

Let me elaborate a little about how good the Sightrons I have are. My hillwalking friend has the Nikon M7 8x30. A truly raved about binocular.

My Sightrons will easily show greater detail at all distances, and with greater contrast and colours. They also are far better at glare control. Far, far better in fact.

If you get a cherry Kenko pair, you will not be disappointed. The Sightrons are the pair I grab every time now.

I would go with the RSPB 8x40 ASW binoculars £100 from Sherwoods, not sure about postage. These provide a great bright clear contrasty image.

I volunteer for the RSPB so try out their stuff regularly. I tried the Kowa porros when they had them on offer with the Kowa 883 and I'd definitely go with the larger RSPB bins unless you want a more compact pair.

The only drawback is they don't focus all that close but you can't expect everything for £100.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/rsbp_binoculars/rspb_optics_fs.htm

Agree with above that porro is the way to go in that price range. Opticron or Kowa YF, I have looked through the 6x Kowa and thought it good, not seen the 8x, but doubt it is much different. Vintage wise, as gunut said a used Zeiss or Nikon porro, or a Bushnell 8x Custom maybe, although a custom would be a bit bulkier. Don't rule out a used porro, you may get something at your price which is better than a new one at that price.

I just spotted this, worth keeping an eye on. Nothing to do with me I stress, but looks like it might not go too high.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KOWA-YF-8...275762?hash=item1eac08c8f2:g:8fsAAOSwWTRWzOGM

Good luck.

I noticed last night the seller had raised the starting price on these by £10, must be watching this thread !! . Not sure what they go for new. I admit I have never looked through a kenko, but I would be amazed if a good porro in your price range was not better than a cheap roof bin. With new roof prism binoculars you do get pretty much what you pay for, low end tends to be low performance in my experience.

Best wishes.

Some really helpful and insightful replies, thanks guys. The Kenko Uktraview ( Sightron Sky Clone ) appears to have some cracking reviews despite my ignorance of the brand prior to this. I saw the price change for the Kowa myself, must be a member on here raising the stakes|:D|

I was also looking at Opticrons 10x42 Explorer as well as the Hawke Endurance ED 8x32 which would stretch my budget a bit. One thing of concern with the Kenko is the warranty which only covers 5 years, though I Would probably be looking to upgrade by then.

If you take care of binoculars they will run 50-75 years before needing
a cleaning and re-greasing.... So, a month of variety use should show
what you can expect, barring a bad accident. A 5-year warranty seems OK.

Last edited:
I've managed to scrape some extra cash now, so my budget has increased to the £150 mark. Now this brings into play the Hawke Endurance ED 8x32 which I managed to have a play around with yesterday, though the lighting conditions weren't perfect being bright and sunny but they appeared punchy and bright with natural looking colours. I wanted to have a look at the Nikon Prostaff 7s 8x42 but alas they didn't stock that model.

Any input in these two models pros and cons would be greatly appreciated, the Nikon looks great on paper bar the smaller FOV and CF but the latter isn't a deal breaker for me.

Right I've narrowed my choices down before I pull the trigger each seems to tick most of the boxes but which one would be bang on the money.

1) Nikon Prostaff 7s 8x42

2) Opticron Natura 8x42

3) Opticron Explorer 10x42

4) Hawke Endurance ED 8x32

Out of that list I can get the Nikon the cheapest, the one which appeals to me due to its ED glass is the Hawke, that and its compact size and having already handled it. The Opticrons are both good prices coming in at under £150 respectively. So which one would suite my birding needs which consists of hiking ( moderate hills these days due to knee replacement ) and woodland nature?

The list,has got shorter now as the Nikon Prostaff can be discounted due to its poor CV of 4 meters. That leaves two from Opticron and one from Hawke, I've read reviews on all three and I'm none the wiser accept for the fact I've played around with the Hawke Endurance?

I have the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32.

I cannot state the absolute sheer bloody delight these bins are to use. The view is staggeringly bright, sharp, CA free and tested against the endurance 8x32 beats it into the ground hands down.

I've only looked at Aculons in the store a while back (pair on the way, though) but they seemed pretty close to the monarchs I looked through. I've read good things on here about them. Plus nikon seems to have a good warranty here in USA.

Also if you can find a source for used binoculars, I like a lot of the older ones. You usually have to work on them, though, unless you can look through and at them first.

Looks like you have decided on roofs, they focus closer, generally, it seems. But you might look at Nikons warranty, I think they fix them for $10-20, if dropped or whatever, for 25 years.

Last edited:
I have the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32.

I cannot state the absolute sheer bloody delight these bins are to use. The view is staggeringly bright, sharp, CA free and tested against the endurance 8x32 beats it into the ground hands down.
Have you manage to compare them with the newer ED Endurance's?

I've only looked at Aculons in the store a while back (pair on the way, though) but they seemed pretty close to the monarchs I looked through. I've read good things on here about them. Plus nikon seems to have a good warranty here in USA.

Also if you can find a source for used binoculars, I like a lot of the older ones. You usually have to work on them, though, unless you can look through and at them first.

Looks like you have decided on roofs, they focus closer, generally, it seems. But you might look at Nikons warranty, I think they fix them for $10-20, if dropped or whatever, for 25 years.
I dismissed the Aculons due to them not being waterproof which for the UK is a must for our hellish wet climate.

Have you manage to compare them with the newer ED Endurance's?

Zeiss Terra 8x32, Nikon M7 8x30s and Hawke Frontier and Endurance both 8x32 and the older 8x36.

Have caused quite the stir amongst our group. I'll not be bothered to upgrade mine to anything else sub £1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back