• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap waterproof camera (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the rather vague nature of the question, but I wondered if anyone would be able to recommend a cheap (say less than £70) waterproof camera to use when snorkelling please? I've tried looking online, but as I know little about photography, and next to nothing about waterproof cameras, I was hoping someone could offer suitable recommendations. We are only after something basic for general underwater photos (fish, corals, etc) but would like relatively clear photos.

I don't mind secondhand gear (assuming that this would still be waterproof? or would any such camera be "untested"?) and I've seen a variety of options that look reasonable:

• Go-pro hero + C.£50
  • Go-pro hero 4 C. £50
  • Olympus tough series C.£50
  • Fuji finepix XP120
  • Olympus mju C. £35
  • Nikon coolpix S33 C.£50

Or are there any decent budget options regards to new cameras?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The Olympus Tough series gets unusually good reviews for its robust waterproofing and still very good optical performance.
I would expect it to outclass the Go Pro alternatives optically, with superior robustness/waterproofing to the FinePix and Coolpix offerings.
I thought the Olympus mju was a film camera,( excellent bit of kit, I owned the earlier Stylus and was pleased with it,) not aware that it had serious waterproofing.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back