• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing a new 10x42? (1 Viewer)

alv_23

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a 10x42 under 500€ and have tons of doubts... I already own an 8x42 and want a second pair with a bit more of magnification (my partner is going to use the 8x42 in a safari and I have the perfect excuse to buy a 10x42).

Now I'm doubting between buying a diamondback 10x42 HD (I own the older version in 8x42) or spending a bit more until a monarch 7.

Is there any alternative to the monarch 7? Will I notice such a great improvement in optics from the Monarch 7 relative tot he Diamondback?

I'm plenty of doubts, so if anyone can please help I would appreciate it.

A Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 is probably the best choice at your price point. The M7 is actually a very nice binocular for the money. For a few dollars more, you could move up to a Nikon MHG 10x42 or Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, especially if you can find one used. Either one is considerably better than the M7 and worth the difference in price build quality wise and optically.

Last edited:
How about the Hawke Frontier HD X 10x42 Binocular?
The new Frontier HD X models offer stunning high definition viewing with incredible colour control and phase correction. First class lens coatings on all surfaces throughout the binocular and dielectric coated prisms ensure the highest amount of light transmission.

A Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 is probably the best choice at your price point. For a few dollars more, you could move up to a Nikon MHG 10x42 or Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, especially if you can find one used. Either one is considerably better than the M7 and worth the difference in price build quality wise and optically.

In Spain the monarch 7 are above 500€, so those are my limit.

I’m also considering the Zeiss terra ed, as are sometimes like 30€ cheaper than the nikons.

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a 10x42 under 500€ and have tons of doubts... I already own an 8x42 and want a second pair with a bit more of magnification (my partner is going to use the 8x42 in a safari and I have the perfect excuse to buy a 10x42).

Now I'm doubting between buying a diamondback 10x42 HD (I own the older version in 8x42) or spending a bit more until a monarch 7.

Is there any alternative to the monarch 7? Will I notice such a great improvement in optics from the Monarch 7 relative tot he Diamondback?

I'm plenty of doubts, so if anyone can please help I would appreciate it.

I’m also considering the Zeiss terra ed, as are sometimes like 30€ cheaper than the nikons.
I really like this price range of binoculars. IMO it's the first group of binoculars that offer really everything one needs to have and enjoy a really nice binoculars. Some in this price point that I've owned or still own are the Meopta Meopro HD, Vortex Viper HD, Zeiss Terra ED, Nikon M7, and GPO Passion ED. In truth they are all decent binoculars and each have their strengths and weaknesses. Here's my opinion..

I'd mark the Terra ED of the list. Although it's a pretty well made binocular, it's not optically to the level of the other binoculars. If you need to buy it because of price I'm sure it will serve you well but I had personally rather have something else.

So I like the GPO Passion ED best of all. Optically it's the best and may be the best as far as build quality goes. I really like this binocular. No idea on the price or availability in Spain so it may not be possible. The Meopta Meopro HD is also an excellent binocular. Build quality is probably the best of the lot. Optics are excellent too. As above I have no idea of the price you would have to pay. The Nikon M7 is a known commodity. It has an excellent reputation. For sure I'd give it a great recommendation. It's lightweight, large FOV, and has decent optics. Those would be my preferred three. Of course the Vortex Viper HD is a very decent binoculars as well IMO not as nice as the other three.

Any of the ones I mentioned would be a decent binoculars. Don't get too caught up in the details.

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg

I really like this price range of binoculars. IMO it's the first group of binoculars that offer really everything one needs to have and enjoy a really nice binoculars. Some in this price point that I've owned or still own are the Meopta Meopro HD, Vortex Viper HD, Zeiss Terra ED, Nikon M7, and GPO Passion ED. In truth they are all decent binoculars and each have their strengths and weaknesses. Here's my opinion..

I'd mark the Terra ED of the list. Although it's a pretty well made binocular, it's not optically to the level of the other binoculars. If you need to buy it because of price I'm sure it will serve you well but I had personally rather have something else.

So I like the GPO Passion ED best of all. Optically it's the best and may be the best as far as build quality goes. I really like this binocular. No idea on the price or availability in Spain so it may not be possible. The Meopta Meopro HD is also an excellent binocular. Build quality is probably the best of the lot. Optics are excellent too. As above I have no idea of the price you would have to pay. The Nikon M7 is a known commodity. It has an excellent reputation. For sure I'd give it a great recommendation. It's lightweight, large FOV, and has decent optics. Those would be my preferred three. Of course the Vortex Viper HD is a very decent binoculars as well IMO not as nice as the other three.

Any of the ones I mentioned would be a decent binoculars. Don't get too caught up in the details.

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
Thx very much.

I’m actually tempted by a monarch 5 under 400€ (that is better suited for my budget). All I read is that the FOV is narrow, but is it way much more narrow than the diamondback I have? Will use it for a safari once and then to spot birds in Spanish wetlands (I guess is just matter of getting used to it, am I wrong?)

Thx very much.

I’m actually tempted by a monarch 5 under 400€ (that is better suited for my budget). All I read is that the FOV is narrow, but is it way much more narrow than the diamondback I have? Will use it for a safari once and then to spot birds in Spanish wetlands (I guess is just matter of getting used to it, am I wrong?)
So according to factory specs for both the Diamondback Classic 10X42 and the Monarch 5 10X42:

FOV Diamondback Classic 10X42- 345ft@1000yds
FOV Monarch 5 10X42- 293ft@1000yds

That's a difference you can "see" IMO.
Monarch 5 optics should be a little better....

I would avoid the Zeiss Terra. I was never impressed by it at its price point. There are a lot of better choices out there. I would even take an M5 over a Terra. At your price point, I would look for something used because you will get a lot more binocular for your money. I don't know how the prices are in your country, but over here you can pick up a refurbished Nikon M7 10x42 which is just like new for around $300 USD on eBay.

2nd hand is your best choice if you want good optics.
Plenty of good dealers, I would miss private ebay, you never know what you are dealing with.
Meostars come in at around 500 on the second hand market, and trust me, you won't get better for your money, they are like Ultravids.
Opticrons will also be a good bet.
Their DBA VHD comes in at £500 new and is superb for the money.

So according to factory specs for both the Diamondback Classic 10X42 and the Monarch 5 10X42:

FOV Diamondback Classic 10X42- 345ft@1000yds
FOV Monarch 5 10X42- 293ft@1000yds

That's a difference you can "see" IMO.
Monarch 5 optics should be a little better....
I see. The thing is, is that important? I mean, I guess the wider the easier to find a bird/animal with the binoculars as you see more field, but isn’t just a matter to get used to it?

I see. The thing is, is that important? I mean, I guess the wider the easier to find a bird/animal with the binoculars as you see more field, but isn’t just a matter to get used to it?
You can probably get used to it somewhat. My way of thinking....I kinda draw the line at 330ft for a 10X42. If that or more, I'll take it! If it's less than 330, I'll pass.

The bigger the FOV, the better for most birders. You can find birds easier if the FOV is larger, and it will wow you more and be more immersive when viewing. That is why the top alpha's have huge FOV's like the NL and SF.

A small FOV, say less than 60 degrees AFOV starts feeling like a tunnel. That being said, not all birders prioritize FOV size. and are perfectly happy with an average size FOV because they feel they can concentrate on the bird better and are actually distracted by the large FOV.

As far as I am concerned the bigger the FOV the better as long as it is fully corrected to the edges like the NL. I don't care for the old porro prism binoculars with huge 10 degree FOV's that have very soft edges.

Last edited:
Mostly. The questions are
(1) Do you find a narrow FOV aesthetically unpleasant? This is where I agree with Chuck, a 10x should have 6.3° or better.
(2) Do you need it as wide as possible for some purpose, like following moving birds or spotting diving animals when they surface?

I agree. 110mm fov for a 10 power is nice. Less feels a bit restrictive .
That's why I would vote for a secondhand swarovski SLC 10x42, Zeiss conquest 10x42 or Leica Trinovid 10x42. Or maybe the smaller brothers, 10x32.
All with decent fov and very nice optics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back